Tied for the Prize (19)

When Juliet regained consciousness, she was greeted with a bright light behind her eyelids and her brain feeling like mush. She tried to take in her surroundings, but found it was hard through the fuzziness.

The only thing she knew for certain was that someone was holding her hand. If she had been captured by death eaters, they wouldn't be doing that. Since her eyes had adjusted, she opened them and looked around the room.

She was in the Hogwarts hospital wing. George was holding her hand while talking with her Father, but she wasn't listening to them. She was trying to figure out what was wrong with her brain. She couldn't read anything, she couldn't deduct anything.

"What's wrong with me?" Juliet asked frightened. They both jumped up at the sound of her voice.

"The nurse said you may experience some memory loss and confusion." Sherlock answered calmly.

"Some memory loss?" Juliet asked shocked, she closed her eyes and dove deep into her mind palace, the place where she stored her memories. She found the entire east wing of her fictional palace gone, where she kept everything she needed to know about deduction.

"What is it Juliet? What's missing?" Sherlock asked, as George held her hand tighter.

"The east wing." Juliet said simply. "I can't- its all gone."

Juliet had never felt more confused in her life. She couldn't understand the looks she was getting from the two of them, and she would have to ask how long she had been unconscious. It might have been the concussion she was sure she had, but she felt like crying.

"The east wing is the area where she stores her information on deducting." Sherlock shot quickly to George, before turning to her. "I'm sure it will be back soon. This is only temporary until your brain heals."

She calmed down after that, and the two of them explained to her what happened while she was unconscious. Moody had been confirmed as Barty Crouch Jr. And given the dementors kiss, and the ministry claimed that the dark lord had not returned. It was the last day of the school year, and Juliet was free to go whenever she woke up.

Dumbledore explained to her on her way to the great hall that Harry said nothing of what Juliet did during the terrible events of that night. She agreed to do an interview with the order of the Phoenix, which dumbledore would be reinstating. She would also stay at a safe house for the summer, as hers was not a very secure location.

Sherlock went back to their house to move her things, and Juliet joined George at the Gryfandor table where Cordelia was. She felt so out of place, not being able to know the things she was use too.

"How are you feeling?" Cordelia asked kindly. Juliet felt the urge to cry again at the sight of yet another person she couldn't understand.

"I'm experiencing quite a lot of memory loss." Juliet said, staring at her awkwardly.

"Memory loss about-" Harry started.

"No. I remember all that." Juliet interrupted.

"I haven't told anyone about... you know." Harry said, lowering his voice. The others leaned in curiously.

"About what." Ron asked, confused.

"He's talking about me slitting Peter Pettigrews throat." Juliet said casually, finding it hard to stay nonchalant. Her emotions were all over the place as they stared at her. "What?"

"Your kidding, right?" Fred asked, waiting for her to say she was.

"The plan was to get Harry out of their. I grabbed Pettigrew and tried to trade him off and they didn't take my threat seriously. Basically in the time it took them to react I had Harry untied and almost out." She explained, feeling shame leak through her voice. "In order for them to prosecute me they would have to admit that he was alive in the first place, and that he was there at the graveyard. They don't seem to be doing that any time soon."

Cordelia watched Juliet's eyes linger from face to face, seeing them but not being able to observe them. That, mixed with the extra emotions led Cordelia to know what memories she had lost.

"Juliet- I'm so sorry." Cordelia said with realization. This surprised everyone because she never spoke much.

"About what?" She asked, blankly trying to understand.

"The east wing, right?" She asked sympathetically. Juliet just sighed and nodded.

"What's the east wing?" Fred asked confused.

"The memory that I lost, from hitting my head so hard. It was from the east wing of my mind palace. I've explained that to you guys before I think but basically my emotions are out of wack and I've lost most ability to deduct the way I use too." Juliet explained, looking at him dead in the eyes to make sure she was telling the truth.

"So... you can't do your mind reading thing?" He asked curiously.

"No." She answered. George knew she was upset so he held her hand under the table. She gave him a soft smile and squeezed it back in return.

Since Harry and Juliet both tied for first, Harry had given Juliet the money. He pulled her to the side on the way to the train that would take them to their homes.

"I've totally forgotten about it." Juliet admitted, "are you sure you don't want it?"

"I'm sure. I heard you saying that you were going to give it to the twins for their shop anyway. Is that still your plan?" He asked, as they walked to the platform.

"Yeah, it is. I'll let them know you are on bored too." Juliet said, putting the two bags into her own.

"That'd be great." Harry said awkwardly.

"If you need someone to talk too about what happened, you can talk to me." Juliet said, before they parted ways on the train.

"I'll remember that. Thank you Juliet." Harry said. She game him a smile and entered the twins compartment.

They were playing a game already, so Juliet decided to play one of her own. She put a bag in each hand, behind her back.

"You two. Pick a hand!" She said excitedly. George automatically pointed left and Fred pointed right. She tossed the heavy bags at each of them, catching them by surprise.

"I told you I would, and Harry was on bored with it as well." Juliet said with a smirk at their surprised faces.

Before she knew it she was in a double bone crushing hug on her way back to platform 9 3/4.