Blood moon rising

Flashback 1000 years ago  14 year old Emily

14 year old Emily

"Try again." Esther tells me and I huff, my head slinging loosely from my shoulders as I hide my frustrated expression beneath my knotted and broken hair.

"I'm trying... but I just can't do it. It's not something I can just do like flexing a muscle... I'm not like you." I try to convince her as she attempts to teach me magic.

"You don't have to be. Just focus and... here" she says grabbing my hand, holding it between her palms delicately as if holding something breakable but of great value.

"I can feel your magic. You have a lot of magic Within you... if you can just harness It you can be very powerful" she says and I sigh, closing my eyes. In my mind I follow every step she's told me, visualising the flame, feeling its warmth and speaking the words which will coax it into existence with conviction.

"Phasmatos incendia." I whisper, opening one eye to peak at the candle. To my dismay but not a surprise, it wasn't lit. I let out a deep breath in defeat looking over Esther's shoulder to see Elijah and Klaus watching us and I giggle, amused by their far-off whispers and bickering amongst one another.

Esther looks up at me disapprovingly, silently scolding me for being distracted.

"Sorry." I mutter an apology, turning my gaze to the ground. Esther, taps my shoulder, making me look up to see her with a small smile on her face. She points behind me.  I turn around to see two dozen candles lit. "Did I do that?" I ask, my tongue held tightly between my teeth as I try to contain my excitement and she nods. I can't refrain from breaking into a proud grin.

"I think that's enough for today." Esther says and I jump up to my feet, jogging over to where Elijah and Klaus were chatting.

"Hello." I greet them, a little out of breath from the sudden movement after sitting down for so long. "Miss Emily." Klaus replies nodding to me politely and I return the gesture with a smile. Klaus wasn't around as much as he used to be because of training but when he had time off we usually spend time together. Even being two years younger than me he and I got along quite well.

I've taken a liking to his brother quite a bit but he would never be interested in me. Elijah is far too lost in the world of Tatia. I don't blame him, my stepsister is... nice enough and nobody argues against her beauty. But she could be a little more fun to be around if it were up to me. There's a reason I spend more time with the Mikaelson's than with my own family. Maybe it is just that she doesn't enjoy my company as much as theirs so she is less enthusiastic with me.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of both of your presence." I ask them suspiciously looking at the elder brother who elbows Klaus in the ribs. "We uh wanted to see how you were doing with your magic." Klaus tells me and I nod, wiggling my fingers as if casting a spell.