The Enemy Behind Borders

Cisco sat in the chair by his brother's bed. It was getting darker and he could hear chatter from other patients, he could hear some crying out in agony. After his brother had recovered from his disorientation and temporary memory loss they had discovered that during his fight with Cisco and Barry he had damaged a lot of bones and muscles. The genius physicist couldn't help but feel partially responsible. The lights shone down brightly on him as he stared over at his brother who was smiling genuinely, "what do you remember?" Cisco asked as his brows knitted together. He wasn't sure he wanted to know, but he needed to.

"Everything," Dante told him as his smile wavered, "I still remember attacking you, and not being able to do a thing to stop myself, my own body," Cisco was stuck for words, he didn't know what to say, "I couldn't even stop myself from hurting my little bro," Dante chuckled, trying to lighten the mood, but it wasn't working. Cisco felt awful.

"I had no idea," Cisco muttered, he was drowning in a tidal wave of pity and guilt. At the same time, his heart still had lingering joy, he knew his brother had been through hell, but he was home now.

"You're right, you don't, but I prefer it that way," he smiled, "when I get out of here we need to do something together. Even if we do just argue the whole night," Cisco felt joy and happiness well up inside of him. He had his big brother back.

Cisco and Barry stared at the limp body of Sebastian in Caitlin's lab. He had several breathing devices connected to him, most were just for monitoring. Seeing him like that made Barry uncomfortable, he had never looked so vulnerable and weak. For once he wasn't frowning, instead his face remained in a state of neutral calmness, which was also pleasant. Barry felt himself relaxing to the sight of his twin's chest softly rising and falling.

Henry entered the room followed by Joe as they quietly whispered under their breaths. Cisco began to explain what was going on, "Caitlin found a little bit of head trauma, but he should wake up in a few days or so," Cisco explained, they nodded in relief, he was okay, "but she mentioned something about scars on his back that were quite old?" He queried.

"Lets see them," Barry grunted, he couldn't imagine Sebastian as the scarring type. Cisco obliged and lightly lifted up the unconscious twin's shoulder. He revealed three long scars that looked like they had been shabbily stitched together. Cisco felt another image flash across his brain, it was blaring red and blue lights outlining a shadowy figure being dragged off by a very familiar policeman. "I wonder how that happened?" Barry asked aloud, he wasn't really looking for an answer.

Cisco glanced up at Joe, whose face had paled drastically, "it was inflicted on him by someone he trusted," Cisco told them.

"Wait, what?" Barry asked, how the heck did Cisco know that?

"I keep getting images appearing in my head, and I think they are related to Sebastian because it started when he showed up," Cisco began to explain.

"What kind of images?" Henry asked, but Joe remained dead silent.

"Violent ones, ones where I am looking from his point of view, like their his memories," he told them, the look on Barry's face urged him to continue, "they all include a knife, a really big and sharp one, its was being held by a man in a white suit, Sebastian was covering his face... but it's weird, because looking back it can feel emotions attached to each memory, he was terrified and betrayed,"

"Smythe," Barry spat. He never had disliked that man from the moment he met him, he was stuck up and always wore a white suit. Barry knew he was a little but aggressive when playing games, but that was taking it to a whole knew level.

"Who?" Cisco asked confused.

"His adoptive father," Barry snarled, to think that anyone one harm a child like that was disgusting, Barry felt sick and angry and sorry for his brother.

Henry could see the guilty look in Joe's eyes, "you knew," he snapped, Joe didn't reply, he just began to drown in guilt, "you knew and you never told me?" He was close to raising his voice, he was angry, not only that his friend didn't tell him about his son being attacked by his adoptive father, but that he had the nerve to say nothing now.

"Did you Joe?" Barry asked, his voice barely a whisper, he didn't want that to be true.

"I knew," Joe admitted.

Barry felt anger burning through his veins he trusted this man and he let him down again, "then why? Why didn't you tell us?" Barry snarled, narrowing his eyes.

Joe looked them both in the eye, his own patience flew out of the window, "because he got down on his knees and begged me not to," Joe shot back at them.

Barry and Henry were stunned to silence whilst Cisco sat awkwardly in the corner, "h-he did?" Barry asked, "why?"

"At the time I thought it was pride, but looking back I've realised that he just wanted you to live your life without him to bother you," Joe's voice fell as he tried to be delicate about the matter. It could not be easy for them in the slightest.

"He really is an angel," Henry sighed and sat down on a seat next to Sebastian. It really had been one heck of a day.