Chapter 32

Arias POV

      I hear the sound of a glass breaking. Tara and I look behind us to see an angry looking Jacob who has shattered a glass in his bare hands. The glass is on the floor while he has a little blood on his hands.  Everyone is staring at him. What are they even doing here?

"Um sorry my buddy here doesn't know his own strength and is very clumsy. I know right, bad combination." Jace forces a laugh and fiddles with his tie as he tries to explain Jacobs accident.

Wow great cover up Jace.

I see them exit except for Jake, he stays. I debate with myself whether I should or shouldn't go talk to him. I mean he is or was my friend. At the end I just decide not to. I wouldn't wanna stir any questions from anyone, especially from Tara. After Sierra I learned your friends and gangster friends are a bad mix that create a lot of chaos. Plus if I go over to Jake, Jacob might come and well be an asshole to me. I don't need that tonight or any time ever for that matter. I feel my stomach do a little grumble.

"How close are they to serving food?" I ask Tara.

"Eh, a little over an hour." She says.

"Oh god." I can't wait that long but I guess i'll have to.

"Hah just go stock up on the bar my dad won't tell anyone if you drink alcohol." She winks.

"Hm." I smile at her. I go back to the snack table to see if there's any of that fruit left. There's only one left. I grab it and quickly dip it in chocolate.

"Hey," I feel someone lightly tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see a smiling Jake.

"Oh, hi Jake, I didn't notice you before." I mentally punch myself for lying.

"Yeah you did we made eye contact and you quickly turned." He says calling me out.

"I'm sorry I just- I-" He cuts me off.

"It's fine Aria. I get it. I mean we haven't seen each other in about a whole week and cutting gangsters out of your life makes it easier. Trust me I would do the same thing." He says still smiling even though he just practically said I didn't wanna be friends with him anymore because he's in a gang, which is beyond true. I would never do that.

"What? No, no. That's not the case at all. It's just the thing with Jacob and it's just-just . . . I don't know. I'm sorry. I'm a little out of it today." I tell him. He laughs at me a little.

"It's fine don't apologize. Just drink some alcohol and you'll lighten up." He jokes. I think.

"That's what Tara told me." I laugh.

"Who's Tara?" He asks.

"Oh my friend. Her dad is the one throwing this party for her. You know, celebrating her acceptance into Juilliard." I explain to him.

"Oh, yeah. I got it now. So her dad is like the owner of this huge ass place?" He questions.

"Um yeah pretty much, why?" I raise a brow.

"Um no reason . . ."

"Hey I finally found you!" Tara says.

"Oh hey. I just came to get the fruit thing." I tell her.

"Oh who's this?" She gestures to Jake.

"Oh um this is my friend-"

"Ben, Ben Miller." He shakes her hand. I look at him oddly and he just smiles back.

"Oh, is Joseph Miller here too?" She asks.

What the hell is going on?!

"Yes, my brother will be here shortly." Jake says.