Chapter 9

Andrea Espada as
Katrina Abalos
That's her last name if I never mentioned it
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I'm nervous...

I'm really nervous...

More than when I was interviewed for Yale...

More than when I had my first job interview...

Meeting my brother...

The brother that should've stood beside me and took care of me and my family...

The brother that left my family with nothing but heartache...

I don't want to see him...

I called him last night after that disastrous dinner and we agreed on our meeting time and place.

I said I'll meet him there, he had offered to pick me up but I kindly refused saying he doesn't need to go that far and I'll find a way to meet him there.

But a part of me regrets it...

"You're going to have to go at some point" a voice said.

I turned my head seeing Mr. Reid standing at my doorway looking at me intently.

"Actually, I change my mind, I'm going to work"
"Yesterday you argued saying you wanted the whole day off and now you say you want to work?"

"I said 'half the day' not the 'whole' day" I scoffed.

"I think you're just trying to make up useless excuses"

I looked at him tensely knowing he's right.

I don't want to see my brother...

"Calm down Ms. Downs, breath and relax"
"Look who's telling who to relax"
I chuckled.

"Remember call me when you're done with your talk, because I have my own business with
Mr. Sanchez that I need to take care of"

"So you're basically giving me a lift for your own benefit?" I chuckled cocking my brow.

"What did you think? I'd do it from the nonexistent kindness in my heart?" He smirked.

"It's good that you know that
Mr. Reid but I'm %97.3 sure there is a softie behind that obnoxious and rude wall"

Is what I would've said if he wasn't my boss...

Sigh...Life is unfair...

"Well Mr. Reid I'm sure there's a little bit of kindness in your heart there is in everyone's"

He suddenly quieted down and looked at me sternly, finding no humor in my words.

I cleared my throat snapping him out of his thoughts and he turned around walking out of the penthouse.

Strange...

I walked out after him and saw him sitting in the car already, scrolling through his phone.

I rolled my eyes and sat in the passenger seat.

"Mr. Reid you don't have to take me to the cafe, you know? I can just send you the address and you can pick me up"

"I'd feel more comfortable taking you" he said in a hard voice.

I looked at him confusedly but shrugged it off.

I was again annoyed with the silence so I was going to turn on the radio again.

"Don't you dare turn on that radio Ms. Downs"