Chapter 8

“Good evening, Professor Slughorn. Riddle said that you wanted a word with me? You wouldn’t mind that I went with Hermione here right?” he asked. Hermione didn’t want to go with him, But he insisted since all the other slytherins, well, the knights, are looking at Hermione with loathing.

“Oh, no! Of course, Miss Granger is always welcome. But may I ask why you needed Miss Granger here? Is that wedding bells I’m hearing?” the professor asked excitedly.

“Oh, No! No! Hermione’s a friend.” Harry said, meaning every word, but there was a feeling he can’t explain. “It’s just that, the others, Slytherins they, look at Hermione like they want to k-hurt her. She’s a muggle born sir.” He explained. Hermione flushed with embarrassment. He told Harry countless times to ignore them, but here he is, telling a Professor.

“Oh my, oh my, oh my, don’t worry, Harry, Hermione, I’ll talk to them.”

“Don’t professor. I can take care of myself.” Hermione quickly said.

“Oh, right! I know you can take care of yourself! Harry taught you!” Hermione rolled her eyes when the professor turned to Harry.

“What is it that you wanted to tell me sir?” Harry urged the professor.

“Don’t fret Harry, I just wanted to congratulate you! New Captain! You caught the snitch 2 minutes in. And don’t forget that amazing move you did!” the professor was beaming.

“It was nothing Professor. I just really love Quidditch, that’s all.” Harry said humbly.

“I’ve met more than twenty wizards who love Quidditch. But none of them is as talented as you, my boy!”
“Thank you, professor.” Harry knew that he will only lose if he still argues.

“Congratulations again, Harry. You can now go back to the Great Hall. I’m sure your famish.” The professor said.

“Good night Professor.” They both said.

On their way to the Great Hall, Daniel Weasley and Charlie Potter, waved at them. They were surprised. They thought that they would both ignore them since they were sorted to Slytherin. But here they are, running to meet them.

“Harry! Hermione!” Daniel called.

“Oh! Hey Dan! Hello Charlie!” Hermione said, while Harry just smiled and nodded.

A few Slytherins saw them and mocked the two Gryffindors’.

“Did she call him Charlie?” they heard a Slytherin whisper.

“Hey! Charlus! Why are you going off, introducing a fake name? Don’t like Charlus much, do you?” they looked back, and there was Crabbe and Goyle.

“It’s not fake, Crabbe! It’s called a nickname! You know, it’s what your friends call you. Oh! Right, you don’t have any. That’s why you don’t know!” Hermione mock him. Harry, Dan, and Charlie chuckled.

“Shut up! You filthy little mudblood!” Crabbe said, as he and Goyle glared at them.

Harry reached for his wand. He pointed it at them. “If I here you talk to her like that, ever again, you’ll spend the rest of the year in the Hospital wing!” he threatened them.

Hermione reached for Harry’s hand. She looks at him in the eyes. “They’re not worth it Harry.” Harry lowered his wand but still glared at Crabbe and Goyle, “But you’re worth it.” He said as he looks at her.

Hermione flushed red. He felt something in her stomach. But, it can’t be. She thought. I’m in love with Ron. I can’t just go around and fall for our best friend. She quickly thinks of Ron. How he left them. How he left because he thinks she was in love with their best friend. How he was jealous. She misses him. And she’s guilty for thinking about Harry in that way.

Harry, meanwhile, meant every word he said. Hermione was worth it. But the moment he said that, he thought about Ginny. She was worth it, she still is, and saying that to Hermione, seeing the look on her face, it sounded wrong. How could he mean it? How could he mean what he said? He meant it, but he was confused. He loves Ginny, but saying that to Hermione, he felt his heart, a heart that belongs to a girl in the future.

“Hey! HEY!” they went back to reality when Dan shouted at them.

“Oh, sorry! I spaced out! You were saying?” Hermione asked.

“We were saying, congrats Harry for beating that Malfoy.” Charlie said.
“And we heard you played, Hermione? Though Harry didn’t give you a time to shine!” Dan teased.

“I don’t play Quidditch, I believe I’ve told you that before?” Hermione said, remembering their time in the train.

“Just kidding Hermy!” Dan said with a smirk. Hermione laughed.

Harry felt something he recognizes. He only felt it before when Ginny was with Dean, or with someone else. How can he feel it now, only because Hermione was laughing with someone else? He pushed the thought aside. Hermione was a friend. Just a friend.

“Hey, Harry, are you jealous?” Charlie asked him in a whisper.

“Of course not!” he didn’t mean to shout, but he did. Now everyone looked at him at his sudden outburst. He looked away from Charlie and hid his face.

“Yup, you’re not.” Charlie said knowingly. “Let’s go, Dan! I believe Rubeus is waiting for us.” He pulled Dan away, who was still joking around with Hermione.

When they’re far enough, Hermione looked at Harry’s eyes. “You heard that? Rubeus! Hagrid is still here. That means Myrtle is still alive!” she whispered in his ear, careful not to be overheard.

“We still have a chance to save her.” Harry whispered. Hermione nodded. “What house does she belong to anyway?” Harry asked.

“Ravenclaw, I think.” She said.

“Then, we have a friend to make, to save.” He said.

----#####----

Pardon me for the wrong grammar and spelling... :)