Chapter 31 (Part 2)

But that’s when Hermione noticed. As she looked at Tom’s beaten face and Ron’s bandaged hand. She knew what happened. She grabbed Ron and dragged him to an unused classroom.

She just glared at him, waiting for him to talk and explain, but he didn’t say anything so she asked, “Why?”

Ron, who is still pissed said, “Oh, so now you notice me! I had to beat up a slytherin for you to notice me! But he’s not just a Slytherin, is he? Do tell me Hermione, did you ever love me?”

“Of course Ronald, I love you. I---”

“Really? You dare say you love me when this pass few weeks all you think about is Tom Riddle. You stare at him all day, for Merlin’s sake! You ignore me when I try to talk to you! So I stopped.” Tears are running down their faces. Ron sobs as he tried, but failed, to stop crying. “I stopped talking to you. But you didn’t even notice that.”

“Ron---”

“You only noticed me when I beat him up. You won't even notice me if I beat everyone up. You only noticed because it’s him. What does he have that I don’t?” his voiced cracked.

“Ron I love you. Don’t ever think otherwise. I---”

“Maybe you did. Let’s be honest Hermione. You don’t love me. I’m not even sure if you ever did. Or did you only said yes because of pity. Or maybe you didn’t want to reject me. You didn’t want to break our friendship.” Ron runs his hand to his hair in frustration.

“I love you Ron!”

“But now you don’t!” he cried, “Because if you do, you would notice me, you wouldn’t ignore me, you wouldn’t forget about me.”

“I didn’t forget you, Ron.”

“Yes, it wasn’t only me, was it? When was the last time you talked to Harry? To Ginny? To everyone except Tom?”

Hermione tried to answer. But she couldn’t remember. Was it yesterday, no? It was a week ago. Before she went to the library. When she realized it, she cried. And Ron left. He left her crying.

Hermione cried as she realizes what she did. She ignored Ron. She ignored Harry. She ignored Ginny. She ignored everyone.

And why?

Because of three simple words, words that Ron tell her every second of the day. That Ginny tells her when she feels like it. That Harry tells her, as a sister. She ignored them.

Because Tom said he loves her.

But that wasn’t the only reason, and she knows it.