Chapter 25

Tom finds himself happy for no apparent reason. He just woke up then he felt happy. He’s now in the Great Hall eating breakfast with Hermione.

Harry entered the Great Hall. He saw them eating. He saw the glint of happiness in Tom’s eyes. Only then did he remember that he has a promise to keep. He walked straight to them.

Tom saw Harry first. He smiled at him and he just nodded. Then when he was in front of them, he noticed Hermione avoid his gaze. Harry then speaks, “I’ll teach you the Patronus Charm. Room of Requirement, after lunch.” Then he grabbed a toast and went out.

“Do you want me to go with you?” he heard Hermione asked.

“Probably no. I also want to talk to him.” He answered.

Tom and Hermione spent their day in the library. They were finishing their assignment in different subjects. They have a foot long essay on Charms, a foot and a half on DADA, and lastly a foot and a quarter in transfiguration.

After lunch, he went straight to the Room of Requirement. The walls were lined with wooden bookcases, and instead of chairs there were large silk cushions on the floor. A set of shelves at the far end of the room carried a range of instruments such as Sneakoscopes, Secrecy Sensors, and a large, cracked Foe-Glass. But the thing he found odd was the pictures, they’re fading. And they show students he hasn’t seen before. He saw Harry holding a picture frame. And again, the picture in that one is fading, in fact, it’s almost gone.

“Harry.” He said.

Harry dropped the frame and every picture vanished. He didn’t ask Harry a single question.

“Pull out your wand. And concentrate on a very powerful happy memory.” Harry said.

He saw Harry go in front of a closet.

“What’s in there?” he asked.

“A boggart. I will stand closer to it and you will perform the Patronus.” He said.

“Your boggart is a dementor?” he asked, bewildered.

“Yes, the last time I checked.” Harry looked at him; "You've got to think of something happy," Harry reminded him.

Tom tried, but he just couldn’t. . His face was screwed up in concentration, but only feeble wisps of silver smoke issued from his wand tip.

“You’re not trying.” He looked at Harry, “Let me give you a clue, don’t think about anything before Hermione.”

He gets it. He closed his eyes and tried to remember every bit of memory he has of Hermione. He remembered the time he first saw her, the time she duelled Malfoy, the time they made the unbreakable vow, every time they sat next to each other laughing, every time she was laughing. And a silvery wisp came out his wand.

“Are you ready?” Harry asked. He nodded.

Harry opened the closet, Tom was right beside him, but Harry was closer. Then the dementor went out, its hooded face turned toward Harry, one glistening, scabbed hand gripping its cloak. The lamps around the classroom flickered and went out. The dementor stepped from the closet and started to sweep silently toward Harry, drawing a deep, rattling breath. A wave of piercing cold broke over him, fortunately, Tom was ready,

“EXPECTO PATRONUM!” Tom yelled. The Boggart stumbled as the Python shoot out of his wand.

“Riddikulus.” Harry yelled and the Dementor turned to a greasy haired man, he was wearing a long, lace-trimmed dress and a towering hat topped with a moth-eaten vulture, and he was swinging a huge crimson handbag. Tom’s Patronus vanished the same time the boggart did.