Chapter 12

They reached the entrance to Professor Dippet’s office, Dumbledore muttered “Alohomora.” Harry looks at Hermione, they have the same surprised look.

“The password is the spell that unlocks?” Hermione said puzzled.

“The headmaster thinks it’s amusing. No one would think that that’s the password.” Dumbledore said.

They entered the Headmaster’s office. Dippet was sitting comfortably in his chair. He looked at Albus surprised, “What happened to you Albus?” he asked. Just then, Harry noticed that Dumbledore looked filthy. All of them did. They were covered in slime.

“Well, we’ve come here to deliver a good news.” He said.

“A good news? Well, if it’s a good news, then it doesn’t explain why you’re all covered in slime.” Dippet said.

“It does, headmaster. Since the attacks, I’ve been researching about the chamber of secrets. I’ve asked help from Harry and Hermione. Now, Hermione was petrified in a bathroom, same place whrethe girl died. Harry, he had a theory. It’s the chamber of secrets by Salazar Slytherin, And Salazar Slytherin is a well-known Parselmouth, then perhaps the monster is a sort of snake. Then, what snake causes petrification?” Headmaster Dippet looked like he was thinking what it is. He looks troubled.

“Well, there is the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents.” Dumbledore said.

“Basilisk? But they’re extinct.” Dippet contradicted.

“ Yes, the Basilisk. This snake, which may reach gigantic size and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken's egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death.” Albus stated.

“Yes, I know about that. Then ask yourself Albus, why is it that only one died when the basilisk has a murderous stare?” Dippet challenged.

“It’s because no one of those petrified looked at it directly. For example, Miss Granger only saw it in the mirror.” Albus countered.

“Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy. Harry found that there are always spiders fleeing in the place where the victims are found. And the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it. So, the question now is where is the Basilisk? Well, it’s dead.” Dumbledore explained.

“And how is it dead?” Dippet asked, still bewildered. His eyes still wide, and his mouth hanging open.

“I killed it, Harry and Hermione was right, we found the chamber, using some books about parseltongue, we opened the chamber and killed it. The school won’t close down.” Albus said

“Well then, Harry and Hermione, in your heroic act, I shall award you, Special Services to the School award.” Dippet said. Harry was surprised. He didn’t expect to be awarded by the Headmaster.

“Thank you Headmaster.” Hermione said.

“Yes, thank you, Headmaster.” Harry whispered.

The good news was announced at the Great Hall feast. Dippet didn’t leave a single detail. He let them know what happened. It was Dumbledore’s idea. He said that whoever the heir of Slytherin is, he or she will clearly have a hard time controlling his or her expression.

But Albus was wrong. Tom didn’t have a hard time controlling his emotion. He kept a straight face. No one would say that he did it. Not with the look that matches every ones face. He looked happy, well, fake happy. Only Harry and Hermione can see the anger in his eyes.

For a second, Hermione thought she saw his eyes flicker red. She looked at Harry, but he seems like he didn’t see anything weird. She shrugged it off of her mind.

On their way to their common room, Lestrange, Malfoy, the twin Carrows, Nott, Crabbe and Goyle stopped them. They were cornered. But nobody seems to look twice at them.

Riddle came then motioned them to follow him. They reached the seventh floor. When the door appeared, they entered the Room of Requirement. It looks like the Slytherin common Room, just creepier. The snakes that cover the columns look real. They’re actually stuck in the pillars but their upper body moves.

Harry held Hermione hand tightly. His own was shaking.

“What do you want Riddle?” he asked bravely.

“Your bravery will someday kill you. Sit down. I have something to discuss with the both of you.” He said, he then turned to his death eaters, “Leave us here.”

“What do you want?” Harry said, trying not to quiver.

“I already asked you, Dumbledore, to join me. But since I haven’t asked Miss Granger yet, I must as well do, she is in fact a powerful mudblood. A great addition.” Hermione and Harry was surprised. They never thought he’d asked her.

“And why do you want me to join?” Hermione asked.

“Granger, the Dumbledore’s has taught you everything in the summer, and you clearly outdid yourself. I will admit, you are a powerful witch, and you are even better than some of my pureblooded followers. I don’t fully believe you to be a mudblood. Your parents; one of them at least must have a magical blood. So, I am inviting you to join.” Riddle enlightened.

Hermione couldn’t look at Harry. She is thinking. Finally, when she decided, she nodded her head.

“I will join you, Riddle.” She sighed.

“NO! Hermione, no. This is wrong, Hermione. He’s wicked! You can’t possibly mean that.” Harry felt scared. What’s happening? Why does Hermione suddenly want to join?

“Sorry, Harry. I lied, I’m not a mudblood. My parents, they are Grindelwald’s followers. They taught me all the things I know. Heck, you are gullible enough to believe me. The ones attacking us were with us, they had a miss understanding. When they were all killed, I created a new identity. But I did enjoy the summer with you.” Harry almost believed her, if Harry didn’t know her, he might have.

“But, Hermione, I trusted you.” He wept. He played along with her. He saw the mischievous glint in her eyes.

Riddle clapped his hands. He couldn’t believe it. She was a pureblood. And the look on Dumbledore’s face! But then, Dumbledore laughed. Then Granger laughed.

“Oh Merlin! The look on your face!” Harry is still laughing.

“Did you see your face? Oh Merlin, that was fun.” Hermione laughed.

“So,” his anger now doubled, “you lied.” He reached for his wand but Hermione laughed even more.

“Of course not! I told you the truth. The truth which Harry already knows. Don’t tell Albus though, he doesn’t” Hermione said then winked.

They were about to walk out when Riddle pointed his wand at Hermione.

“CRUCIO!” he let his anger out.

Harry reached for his wand. He can’t stand the weeping Hermione. He pointed his wand at Riddle, “CRUCIO!” he let all his anger on the dark lord out. He meant it. This is the man that caused his parents’ life, Sirius’ life, Albus, Cedric.

Riddle fell down. This is the first time he felt it. But it stopped. He looks up and saw Harry holding Hermione up.

“You’re not the only one capable of using that curse Riddle. And I will do it again if you touch her. If she gets hurt, you’ll pay for it.” Harry said then walked out.

Riddle was dumbfounded. He didn’t expect Dumbledore to fight back using an unforgivable curse. He under estimated him. There was something in him, and also that girl. He almost believed her. But then, she was telling the truth. So they both had darkness in them, darkness that Albus Dumbledore didn’t notice. He can use that, but how? How can he convince them to join?

They already think of him as an enemy. Then, maybe he can convince them. A little act is not hard. He just needs to convince them that his purpose is good. That he is good. The question is, how?