Chapter 31

Hermione was the only one, except for Harry, who noticed the change in Tom. Tom wasn’t smiling often, unlike before. If he wants to go to the library, but Hermione is there, he would walk back. It’s like he’s avoiding her.

One time, Hermione went to the library, and he was already there, but when he saw her, he gathered all his things and walked out. Hermione followed him. She had enough of his insolence. She ran to reach him and she grabs his arm and turned him around.

“What’s your problem!” she whispered. He was about to answer when she added, “And don’t tell me it’s nothing because you wouldn’t be like that if it is.”

He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out and he closed it. Hermione saw how nervous he was so her look softened, “Do I have something to do with it? Was I rude or something? Was I---”

“No!” he yelled, “You’re nothing like that. You’re not rude, as a matter of fact, you’re perfect.” He closed his mouth when he realized what he said.

Hermione blushed and she cleared her throat, “Was it Ron? Did he do something? Did he---”

“No,” he chuckled, “That git didn’t do anything,” Hermione glared when he said ‘git’ so he shut up.

“Then what’s your problem? Is it Harry? He’s the last one you talked to.” He shook his head. Hermione was now really impatient. “Then what is it? Really!” Hermione was about to shout when he blurted, “I love you!”

“That’s my problem.” He walked out leaving her flabbergasted.

Now a week passed since he confronted Tom. She finds herself staring at him when he’s not looking. She waits till he arrives at the Great Hall before eating. When he answers a question in class, she stares. She even sometimes chooses the hallway that has more chance that they walk pass him.

Harry noticed it all, and so did Ron.

Ron noticed it all and he haven’t said a word to her.

She didn’t notice how jealous Ron is. And how angry he was when he realized she didn’t notice that he wasn’t talking to her.

Ron had enough. He couldn’t sleep at night thinking when Hermione would leave him. The next day he walked alone, and he saw Riddle. He was too angry to get his wand. He punched him. Riddle didn’t fight back as Ron punch and kicked him. All Ron could think about is that, how long it took him to make Hermione love him, and that this guy, it only took him weeks to make Hermione look at him. What does this guy have that he doesn’t? Ron left him there, bleeding.

Tom didn’t fight back because he thought he knew. He thought he knew about everything he did, or didn’t. He thought it was about Voldemort. And he knew he deserves it.

When Tom walked to the Great Hall, still swollen and dried blood all over him as he tried to wipe it, almost everyone looked. Pansy, who thinks Tom’s handsome, helped him and healed the minor injuries. She cleared the dried blood and she smiled at him.

Hermione looked at Tom. She wanted to do what Pansy was doing.