Chapter 26

It’s been a week since he woke up in this time, and he stayed in the Room of Requirement ever since. Some house-elves, usually a house-elf named Dobby, come and bring him food, just like now.

“Dobby came to bring your dinner, sir.” The elf bowed, Dobby is an unusual house-elf, he wears multiple clothes, instead of the usual pillow case.

“What did I tell you Dobby? There’s no need to call me sir, okay?” he said as he remembered how Hermione was to house-elves. He misses her.

Dobby beamed as he said, “Tom, sir is as kind as my friend Harry Potter! No wizard except Harry Potter and his friends ever treated Dobby as an equal!” he was taken aback. Harry Potter?

“Dobby, the Harry Potter that you said, is he friends with Hermione Granger?” he asked.

“Oh, yes! Yes, sir! Harry Potter and Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley are friends, sir! And they are all kind to all the house-elves sir! Harry Potter freed Dobby from my Master, sir! Hermione Granger always makes hats and socks for Dobby, sir!” he smiled.

“Can you tell me about her, Dobby?”

“Hermione Granger is the brightest witch of her age, sir. She is in Gryffindor with Harry Potter and their friends. Hermione Granger is really kind to house-elves, sir she wants to free every house-elf! She made all my clothes sir, she and Harry Potter and their friends gives Dobby presents!”

“Gryffindor?” he asked.

“Yes, sir.”

Then suddenly, the door opened to reveal Dumbledore. “If you would please return to the Kitchen, Dobby.” The man said.

“She’s in Gryffindor?” he asked the man.

“Yes, Tom. They are in Gryffindor, in their seventh year. And I think you would want to be with her?” it was more of a statement than a question.

“Yes, but can I really be a seventh year? I was only a sixth year then.” He asked.

“I know that you are exceptionally bright Tom, I think I can bend some rules and make you a seventh year, however, you will be sorted.” Tom only nodded. As much as he wants to be closer to Hermione, he doesn’t want to be in Gryffindor.

He was sorted in Slytherin, again.

One week left until he can see Hermione again, he can’t wait. He spent his days in the Room of requirement with Dobby. He asked Dobby things about Hermione. He learned that Dobby only met them in their second year, were as Dobby said, Harry helped him and freed him. He also learned that Hermione started dating Ronald Weasley in the summer before their seventh year.

Finally, the day came when all the students who went home for the Christmas went back. He went to Dumbledore’s office, used to be Dippet’s, and they came down the Great Hall together. Some students looked at their direction as they walked. He parted ways as he went to the Slytherin table while Dumbledore went to his chair.

The feast begun and Tom sat next to a boy with a pale, pointed face, who, in his opinion looks like Abraxas, he guess that he is his grandson. He ate but his eyes are searching in the Gryffindor table for a bushy hair girl. It didn’t last long and he saw her. She is glaring at a red-haired boy who is eating quite like a pig. He also saw Harry talking rather sweetly with a red-haired girl, who, he guessed, is Ginny Weasley, Harry’s girlfriend,

He stares at Hermione when she suddenly looked back at him. He didn’t look away instead he smiled. She frowned and looked away. Tom couldn’t help but to smiled widely at her flushed face.

“Are you staring at the mudblood?” the boy to his left asked.

“Mudblood?” he asked,

“Yes, she’s a mudblood.” The boy answered.

“Don’t use that word.” He just said.

The boy was now looking at him like he lost his mind. Tom looked at the boys behind the pale pointed face, both of them were thickset and looked extremely, they looked like bodyguards.

“Oh, this is Crabbe and this is Goyle,” said the pale boy carelessly, noticing where Tom was looking. “And my names Malfoy, Draco Malfoy.”

He was right; the boy was indeed Abraxas grandson. “Tom Marvolo Riddle.” He said.

“What are you? Pureblood? I’ve never heard of a Riddle before.” The boy said.

“Halfblood.” He just said.

“Well, you’ll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others. You don’t want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there.”

He held out his hand to shake Tom’s and Tom shook it, only to grip it tight until he let go. He won’t be friends with people who underestimates and calls Hermione a mudblood.

Malfoy glared at him but he just looked away. He looked to the Gryffindor table to find that Hermione was staring at him, he smiled and again, she flushed red and looked away. The feast ended and they went to their dormitory, but before that, he walked straight to Hermione and called her attention. She looked at him, confused.

“My name’s Tom and you are?” he said as he smiled.

“She doesn’t care who you are.” The red haired, he guess that he is Ron, said rather rudely.

He looked at Hermione and he smiled at her when she said, “That was rather rude Ronald, he was just asking my name.”

“He’s a bloody Slytherin!” Ron looked back to where Harry is and said, “You tell her Harry.”

“Honestly Ron, I think Hermione’s right.” He said and smiled at Tom, “I’m Harry, Harry Potter.” He reached for his hand and shook it, “I’m Tom Riddle.”

“This is Ginny, my girlfriend.” Harry said as he pointed Ginny by his side.

“Hello, Hermione.” He said warmly and smiled, “Ron.” He said without emotion.

Ron glared at him, “Aren’t you friends with Malfoy?” he asked.

“No, I don’t like to be friends with people who use the word mudblood.” Especially if they use it to Hermione, he thought.

They were shock to hear what he said. He smiled at them for the last time and turned back. He went back to his dormitory only to find out that he would be sharing with Malfoy and his body guards and with someone named Blaise Zabini.

Malfoy, who saw him talking to Hermione said, “Why am I sharing my dormitory with you?” he ignored him and just got ready for bed.