Chapter 9

-VALERIE'S P.O.V-

    Holding her hand doesn't last long. Going in the den, it's much worse than I thought. Demons preparing humans for sacrifice for dinner.
    I don't eat humans. Or monsters. It's gross..
    I drop her hand and quickly draw my sword. I make myself visible and take of the demons head before he drives the blade in the human. Nothing like a stab in the heart.
    All the demons take a step back from me.
"Valerie." One says.
"Are you going to take over?" Another asks.
"No. I'm not." I quickly take off her head for her asking.
    The dagger they were to use for the human is jabbed into my side. I groan to the feeling and as I do so, they circle me.
"Just as useless as he made you out to be."
"Weak."
"Pathetic."
    I feel a rage take over and I end up taking the circles heads off. Their bodies drop.
   The rest of the demons back away. The get to their knees and bow their heads.
"You're kidding me?"
"The throne is rightfully yours."
    I roll my eyes. "Let me ask something. What are you guys doing?"
"Feeding."
"Exactly." I take off the head of the one that answered.
   Ninfa takes off the other two heads and then her eyes catch mine. I don't like the fear I see. I turn from her and help the human.
   As I free the human and compel her to forget, Ninfa's eyes burn me. Looking around, there are way too many demons for one human. There must be more.
   I search for more humans but find none.
"It was a trap, Valerie." She says and I feel her eyes burn hotter.
    I know what's she's going to say. And I know the thoughts she's got going. I don't want to deal with it.
   I set fire to the demons she killed and leave quickly. As I reach the surface, her hand grabs my arm and I feel her skin burn mine. I pull away.
"If you can take over. Wouldn't this all end?"
     My stomach turns with nothing but sorrow and shame... and the dagger I just ripped out. My heart only races to ..nothing.. Maybe her disappointed tone.
    I take form of flightmaster and take to the skies. The sun starts to peak in the horizon. I sigh and fly my way home, though I know she follows.
"Why won't you talk to me?" I hear in my ear.
    Fuck. I forgot about this thing.
"Go home, angel."
   I land and change to form. Joel's eyes land on me and I ignore the best I can.
"Talk to me, Valerie."
"Go home."
    Her eyes catch mine and I see a determination. It shines in the light within her teal beauties.
"What happened?" Joel asks.
"Just another trap. I'm not talking about this shit."
   I hand him my ear piece and storm off to my room.
   Yes, If I took the throne, I could stop all of this. I don't want to be trapped in hell for however long I would be, again. So, yes, I feel shameful that if I would just be a leader, they would all heel and the war would be over.
    That's why I spend every fucking night fighting. I go around the world to make sure each night that the monsters stay dead. But they breed and so it's only getting worse.
   I get it. I'm either weak or a leader in the world's eyes. But I just want to be free. That's all I've ever wanted.
    I feel a tear of frustration fall. Maybe I am weak. Maybe this is all I am meant to be.
   A weak demon who just wanted to be free but should save the world by taking a crown instead of taking off heads. I wipe the tears of frustration as they fall. I'm pathetic.
    I look at myself in the mirror. Instantly hating who I see. I take my fist and smash the mirror. All pieces gather in the sink.
   And it's not even right. I heal. I can't feel pain like a normal being would.
   I take a piece of glass and cut my wrist. It instantly heals but I get a drop of blood. I roll my eyes and crush the glass in my hand.
    I change and get down to my boxers. Climbing into bed, into the warm sheets. I find myself reaching were she had lay.
    What has she done to me? Turned me weak. Made me rethink so many things. Made me weak.
    I take my hand back and sigh. My heart races and I sigh.
"Thought I made it clear that you should go home."
"Why don't you want to talk about it?"
"Why don't you go the fuck home?"
    She makes herself visible to me. She sits on the bed next to me.
"You're fucking persistent."
"Talk to me."
"There's nothing to talk about."
"Valerie."
    I look up at her. Something pains behind her eyes and it makes my heart hurt. I look away.
"Just go home, angel."
"Why don't you call me by my name?"
     It's not like I say the angel each time I think about her. I shouldn't ever be thinking about her.
   I flip over on my other side. She climbs over me and sits again. Anger.
    I charge myself and grab Sekia. I have it an inch from her throat as I regulate time. She freezes.
"You won't hurt me."
    I keep my pose. "I asked you to leave. I told you I didn't want to talk about it. So now." I push the blade to her neck.
"Valerie, please." She cries.
    It breaks my heart. It does. But if she wants to know, she gets the special treatment.
"My whole life I spent in a dungeon. So when he got free, so did I. And if I take the throne, I'm forced to be in hell. Forced to be trapped again. I'm not fucking doing it."
    I push the blade closer to her. "So take your petty. Take you disappointment. And get the fuck out."
    Her whimpers to the blade.. my fucking heart. Why? I spent my whole life not caring. Not having a heart. And now.. it beats.. for an angel..
    I withdraw Sekia. It takes a second and her neck is healed. She slightly rubs it before I'm taken in a ..hold?...
    I feel my skin burn against hers. The pain from it... I ignore it.
"What are you doing?"
"Has no one ever hugged you before?" She whispers lightly.
"What the hell is a hug?" I try to push her off of me but she won't move.
"You can hurt me. You can kill me. But at least I have showed you what a hug is." She says and I hear her voice waver because I know I'm burning her.
"Go home, angel."
    She lets go of me. "Thought you were going to kill me."
"Just go home." I sigh. "You got what you wanted."
   I put Sekia away and climb back in bed. She sits next to me again.
"Why do you shut everyone out?"
"Why do you ask so many questions?"
"I risked my ass for you."
   I look into her eyes. It's the first time I've heard her curse. It's.. weird.
"I healed you. I helped you. I saved you. I risked everything. You can't give me the answers because you're so selfish. You save lives because you feel guilty because you won't take the crown to save the world in an instant. You cower."
    My heart shatter nd my stomach ties in so many knots, I want to puke. Her eyes.. dark.. A very dark teal..
"Goodbye, Lucifer's spawn."
    She vanishes.
    She's right. I .. just want to be free. I just wanted to be free.
    I cry. And I cry hard. I cry myself to sleep.

    Hatred. Hatred. Hatred.
    I curl up against the harsh stone. At least I'm not in shackles today. Or tonight? A this moment in time.
"Food." A man speaks and slides tray under the door.
    More like slop. For the pass 1200 years. All meals slowly turned into slop.
    I don't know how many times I have went crazy. How many times I went insane. But somehow I have always recovered.
    I count the days. Or.. years? I just guess. But each year someone comes and tells me happy birthday. A slap to the face.
    Shackles appear on my wrists and I feel myself drain from all energy. It's as if he just summons them to me, to torture me. I didn't ask for this.
    At least sleep is an option. But they're mostly nightmares. I'd pray for help... But the only "angel" that would ever hear would be Lucifer. And dear old dad would only make my life more hellish for a good century.
   I fall to the stone floor and try to sleep. Though it's hard. I manage a few hours.

    I'm being dragged. Dragged. My feet scrape across the floor.
"It's almost your birthday. I thought I'd do something special for you, mutt."
    Nail pierce either hand. My feet nailed together. A crown of thorns pushed deep into the skin of my head.
"They came up with this in the overworld. Isn't it special?" He laughs.
    I hold in my cries as my body is lifted into the air and the cross I'm on is placed in a cement hold.
"If you be good this year, I might let you off. I just wanted to see what it's like to witness this."
   He lifts my chin and smiles to me. The fire in his black eyes grows as he laughs again. My vision fades as he walks off.
    Shouldn't a father love their child? Or are those stories I told myself to give me false hope? False hope.

    Her eyes. Ones I thought we're once beautiful. Sent my mind... back.. to a place I didn't want to go.

     I wake to a panic attack. Thanks, Ninfa. You're a true blessing.