Chapter 2 - Ellipsis

Surprise! Bonus update, because I am happy over today's joyous events, even if I missed a trip to EB this morning! I was supposed to go with friends but I saw the message late na tuloy pala. Too bad, I missed so many highlights in EB today, but glad also that I got to watch "Love Is" in the comfort of my bedroom, was able to enjoy it without any distractions.  

Anyway, I just want to share with you something while I was writing this. The original plan was for ficDei to refuse any attention ficRichard would give her, because she was concentrating on her studies. But it really amazes me how characters I create have a life of their own and dictate how the story should go. As I was writing this, Dei developed strong feelings also for Richard, feelings that confuse her and threaten her sense of control. But being the strong character that she is, she confronts Richard to get clarity on where they were going with their closeness. 

How many women can do that? How many women can confront a guy and ask him to define the relationship? There's a risk here of being accused of assuming or reading more than what there really is into the relationship, right?  But asking for clarity is really important. It will save you from further heartache, or make you appreciate the progress of your relationship. 

What about you? Do share with us what you think, and how you would handle this situation. 

Have a great weekend guys. Enjoy :)

Several weeks later, Richard and Dei settled into their classes together, forming friendships with classmates, Tom, Padraic, Raine and Shaan. Tom, a Filipino raised in the US, is Padraic's bestfriend, an Irish-American who is wooing Raine, exchange student from India. Shaan is also Indian and is dating Padraic, but has a fascination for Richard, which she of course, does not tell anyone, not even Raine.

The six of them hang out together, enjoying picnics, long drives and bonfires at the nearby Lighthouse beach. It was funny how, as if by design, they were together as three couples instead of a group of six. When Tom takes Raine away from them to spend some private time with her, it seems to follow that Paddy gets to monopolize Shaan and this leaves Dei with Richard.

She wonders if this setup is ok with him. She noticed that Shaan steals glances at Richard, but hangs around with Paddy. She wonders if she's getting in the way of something between Richard and Shaan, and Richard might be too nice to say so. Is Richard's being with her a "by default" setup? This wouldn't be an issue if they were just friends. But lately, their budding friendship seems to be morphing into something else.

This dilemma was what was foremost in her mind when she and Richard were left behind by the two couples again, the two of them warming up by the bonfire with a blanket wrapped around both of them. Richard reached out an arm to pull her closer to him, tucking her snugly beside him.

"Are you warm enough?"

"Hmmm.......yeah. Thanks."

"You seem to be preoccupied. Is something bothering you?"

"Not really bothered but there is something I've been meaning to ask you."

"Ask away Dei."

"Medyo personal eh. Wag na lang."

"Oh come on......."

"You might get offended."

"I won't. Promise."

"Hmmmm.......wait lang......"

She took a deep breath, uneasy with what she was about to ask him. He twined his fingers through hers, surprising her. She was distracted  the sensations their entwined fingers caused.