Chapter 23 - Legend

Hello there. Just an update before we go back to work tomorrow. I'll be having only one update tomorrow, but this update will tide you over till tomorrow night, I promise:) 

This update shares with you one of the most memorable events in their relationship, and I hope I did justice to it. After all the pain they went through, I want them to reap the reward they deserve. 

Happiness comes when we least expect it, sometime we think things are over and done with, then the Lord surprises us with his plot twists and all is right again. Enjoy this chapter my dears, till tomorrow :) 

Richard and Dei took the 7:30 morning flight to Evanston, arriving there a little after two hours. They took all their things with them, planning to fly to Manila after three days. Richard's mom booked them at a cozy bed and breakfast near the lake, managed by an old couple.

Their room was spacious with a fireplace, a vintage bathtub and a wonderful view of the lake. Dei was mesmerized by the view, the water looked so serene. She was hugged from behind by Richard, his mouth lingering at her jaw.

"Honeymoon feels, huh?"

"Yes.....it's so peaceful here."

"Dei?"

"Yes?"

"I brought protection."

She felt her face flush, his arms tighten around her. What was she supposed to say to that? She searched her mind for something witty to say but came up with nothing.

"Ok lang kung ayaw mo."

She turned to him and smiled.

"I was just thinking of a witty comeback. Na-blanko ako. You had me at protection."

"Does that mean......"

"Yes. I'm ready, Jay."

"Lika na......"

"Huy! Sandali."

"Mag-brunch! I meant 'lika na mag-brunch. Kain tayo, we left early kanina diba? Ikaw talaga."

"Ako pa ngayon ha."

"Seriously, Dei. This means a lot to me. It feels good to know that you trust me this much."

"I do. So don't break my trust. I know we can't have a perfect relationship, there will be challenges later on, pero kaya natin yon if we help each other."

"Of course. Hinga lang. Wag bibitaw."

They revisited the lake in the afternoon, where they last saw each other before leaving the campus. It was still as beautiful as it used to be back when they were still studying. Dei could not help feeling teary-eyed as she stood there, right in that spot where she was left standing after she told him she would pursue screenwriting.

"Dei.......am I reminding you of sad memories?"

He wiped her tears and cradled her head close to his chest. He also remembered that day, and how hopeless he felt when Dei shared her decision with him. He thought it was the end for them.

"I brought you here to erase those bad memories, Dei. We'll create happier ones, baby. Starting with now."

He took out a box from his pocket and opened it, showing her a beautiful band of stones in gold setting.

"Dei, I hope you'll do me the honor of wearing this ring. It's a sign of my commitment to you, that I will never stray away or make you doubt me. For as long as you're wearing this ring, that's also my assurance that you want me in your life."