Chapter 4 - Backslash

Good morning everyone, slept early last night hence no update. I was so tired from attending the ADNFest but it was fun, and seeing MaiChard in the flesh is always a nice treat. I met up with a lot of ADN Friends but was not able to stay at the writer's booth because early on, even before they opened the registration, I got so dizzy from the heat and standing so long outside. The security guys were really nice and escorted me inside and a medic attended to me. I hope those among you who also graced the event had fun. 

Anyway, I'd like to thank you guys for reading my new fic and for the really nice comments. I always get fired up with your appreciation. Our story starts kinda slow, because I want to show you how their friendship developed, before I reveal the main plot. The first few chapters actually give you an idea of how things will escalate later on.

Hope you like this chapter and share what you think. I am always happy when I see interaction in the comments section. Have a great week ahead, my dears :)

Dei was seated in front of him in class, and that was the way he wanted it. Sure, he wanted to be close to her but he preferred have a constant view of her. When he was bored with the lectures, he'd watch her absently playing with her hair while listening to the professor, and from time to time she would look behind her and smile at him. She had the best smile ever, her eyes crinkled at the corners and her perfect set of teeth looked good enough to be part of a toothpaste campaign.

Today was the day he'd ask her out, he'd been itching to do so since this morning, but the subject of her sister cropped up. He was glad to have been of help, her sister has since added him to her friends list. She was pretty like Dei, maybe still chubby with baby fat, but had the potential of maturing into a real beauty as well. She sent him a direct message and said hi, he responded with a smile emoticon but that was it.

The boring lecture was finally over. He rose from his seat and walked to the end of his row, waiting for her to walk with him. She was talking to Paddy and noticed how Paddy was touching her arm. It was the first time he'd seen paddy do this and to see Dei not minding it bothered him. He looked away, irritated. Wasn't Paddy already pursuing Shaan?

A light tap on his shoulder made him turn around, and Paddy and Dei were there in front of him. His heart sank, it must mean there wouldn't be time for him to talk to Dei alone. He looked around for Shaan.

"Uhmmm, Paddy. No Shaan today?"

"She's coming in late, couldn't make it to this class. Why?"

"Oh, nothing. Seeing you without her doesn't seem normal. You're always together."

"We're not a couple yet, don't get the wrong impression. It seems she has eyes for you, and that kind of makes things hard for me."

"Me? No way......I never noticed."

"How could you? You're like a horse with blinders. Your eyes are trained on Dei alone. But I don't blame you."

Paddy looked at Dei appreciatively and Dei merely laughed at him.

"Stop it guys. Look Paddy, I need to talk to Jay alone. We'll catch up with you and Shaan later, ok?"

She didn't give Paddy a chance to reply and linked her arm through his. Together, they walked out of the room.

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"For a moment there I thought he would be coming with us. I wanted to talk to you alone."

"You looked like you were about to hit him, I had to do something."

"What did you want to talk to me about?"