Chapter 39 - Dead Copy

Hi guys, sorry it was hubby's birthday last night and I was also busy the rest of the day. Sharing with you a bit of a back story about Dei's parents here. I was chatting with one of my readers here who has become a dear friend, and she shared with me some valuable lesson about happiness. 

Apparently, there are people who will never be happy because they have programmed themself to be unhappy regardless of what their lot in life currently is. It's like a programming code that we set up within our system, and we identify for ourselves subconsciously the triggers that make us unhappy or discontented with what we have. No amount of pep talk and good vibes can change this mindset, we are capable of self-destructing because of this predisposed unhappiness. 

I tried to capture that in this chapter, and I hope you all learn from it. At the end of the day, happiness is a choice, we live life as we make of it and should not blame others for our woes. I hope you enjoy this chapter and get the message. have a great day! :)

Dei and Richard were waiting for her parents at one of the function rooms at Richard's branch of Concha's in San Juan. The restaurant opened a week after they came back from their vacation, and the launch event was not open to the public but only to close friends, because Richard was adamant to have Dei by his side during the opening. No media was allowed to cover, it was closed event.

Later, they released to the press publicity photos showing Richard and Dei together, claiming that Kat was not around due to her shoots for the movie. One of the photos showed Richard's hand on Dei's lower back, and of course fans were quick to make assumptions about Dei being a threat to their favorite couple. Rumors began to circulate that Dei might actually be the girl Richard once had a relationship with, since they have been good friends in the university.

Dei was suddenly cast in the limelight, and it angered Richard that his fiancee would be accused of such travesties, when in fact, she was the real deal. But Dei insisted she didn't mind. Although she was hurt with all the angry words, she reasoned it would all die down soon.

Tonight was both scary and exciting for her because her parents would be meeting Richard for the first time. She was nervous because her mom was very critical of her and any of her choices. She had been avoiding visits to her mom despite Kat's prodding, primarily because she and her mom never got along. Her dad on the other hand, has been out of the country these past months, working on a consultancy project for an IT company in Sydney. Thus, both parents would be meeting Richard for the first time.

Kat arrived with Inigo in tow. A few fans were thrilled to see her, took selfies with and with Richard as usual. The four of them were ushered into a private function room cordoned off from the public area, which Richard had constructed for his family to always have a place to eat even if the restaurant was full.

"Jay, this early I apologize if my mom says anything that might put you on the spot."

"Stop worrying, ok? You haven't seen your mom for a long time, malay mo she changed na pala."

"That's not likely possible. I know my mom well, Jay."

The dreaded moment came. Her mom walked into Concha's, looking fabulously stylish in a white shirtdress and sandals, her hair in a bob. She had a full figure that was a tad chubby but still nice to look at, immaculately manicured nails and flawless make-up. The restaurant manager welcomed her and directed them to the function room.

Dei look svelte and polished in her summer shift dress and hair hanging loosely around her shoulders. Her mom had always envied her figure and metabolism, knowing fully well that Dei took after her dad and looked more like him. Dei moved forward to kiss her cheek, her hand clasped warmly in Richard's.