Chapter 40 - Citation

Hello there. Just a short update, a sort of follow-through on the impact of Therese's misbehaviour during the engagement dinner for Dei and Richard. You see, it's not only Dei that got hit by her misbehaviour but Inigo as well. 

We sometimes act weird around people we love, whenever they introduce someone new in their lives to us. There is such a stronge urge to try to find fault in this new person, on the premise that we mean well. But sometimes, meaning well does not justify snobbery or looking down on someone regardless of stature in life.

It's difficult to be on the other side of the coin, the one being judged. To be judged based on a first impression, a few minutes of time that does not really justify the full spectrum of what you can offer, is a scary experience. So if you get to be on the judging side of the situation, please be gentle, please be slow to judge. Your son/daughter, brother'sister, friend may go through the same experience and yes, we wouldn't want them to be made to feel that they are lacking or inadequate.

Have a great weekend :)

Inigo was quiet as he drove Kat home from the engagement dinner. Emotions ran high in that dinner tonight. He felt sorry for Dei and wished she was alright. Kat was still fuming right now, angry at her mother's careless words. He wanted to talk to her about something that bothered him about tonight, but felt maybe it wasn't the right time.

"I hate my ma right now, Inggo."

"I'm sorry to say this but I don't blame you."

"Dei has done nothing but make her proud. She's a good student, she's a successful entrepreneur now and look at the kind of man she's going to marry. Dei has done all the right moves and ma.......I don't understand the animosity. I am everything Dei is not and yet she favors me. But it doesn't make me happy. I hate that she hurt Dei on such a special occasion."

Inigo said nothing. It kind of stung when Kat mentioned the kind of man Dei was marrying. Richard was the epitome of a perfect boyfriend, something he was not. Kat's mom practically dismissed him like a pesky fly earlier, and did not interact with him at all.

He was not one to really care about what people thought of him, but this was different. Therese was mother of the woman he loved. Of course, he wanted to be seen in a positive light. It would seem though, that Therese did not see showbiz as a good career choice, because even Kat did not enjoy her mom's pride in all she has accomplished.

"Love.....something's bother you. Tell me."

"It's nothing," he said and smiled at her, touching her cheek. She leaned her cheek against his hand.

"Can we go to your place? I don't want to go to my condo. I don't feel like talking to ma."

"She's staying with you?"

"No, but I have a feeling she'll go there and vent about all that happened, and frankly, I'm not in the mood to see her."

"What do you want to do?"

"Rehearse my scenes. I got the rewrites from Dei already."

He smiled in spite of himself. This girl was trying to make him smile and she succeeded.

"Inggo, I know what's bothering you."

"I don't want to talk about it, love."

"This is about ma, right? You think I didn't notice how hurt you were when she snubbed you?"

"......"

"She's an unhappy woman, love. Please, don't let her negativity get to you."

"I want you to be proud of me, Kat."

"I am! Don't think otherwise. When this movie is over, we'll come out in the open as a couple and fans can eat shit. I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful to them but.....they don't own all of me. I deserve to be happy. I deserve you."

"I'm not really sure I deserve you, Kat."

He pressed the remote control of his garage and parked inside, pressing again to close the gate. He helped her out of the car and walked with her to his door. She cupped his face with her hands the moment they were inside.

"Stop demeaning yourself ok? Look at you, and all you've accomplished. You're the youngest international director in the industry. You've made the country proud with the movies you produced and got awards for."

"Yeah, but I'm not well-off financially. My only property is this house and my car. I don't own a restaurant. I'm not exactly husband material right now."

"Maybe not, in someone else's eyes. But you know, pareho tayo eh. We both work hard, we earned our successes the hard way. We're a good team, love. Kakayanin din natin magbusiness later on, you'll see. Right now, I just want to forget about my mother and be with you. She's not the one marrying you so he opinion will not really matter that much."

"You'd consider marrying me?"

"Of course. Imagine enjoying your tush every night? Bet."

"Grabe, you just want me for my body?"

"Alam mo, fishing ka kanina pa eh."

"But seriously, Kathryn Mendez-Sandejas sounds nice."

"I look forward to that someday, love. So please stop putting yourself down."

He started running his finger from her jaw down to the deep vee of her neckline.

"I just want to be the best for you Kat."

"You are. Right now, you are the best person to calm my raging hormones."

His hands met at the small of her back, pulling her close.

"Everytime I try to behave around you, you just put my mind in the gutter."

They kissed, his hand entered the low neckline of her top and cupped her breast. Kat closed her eyes to the sensation of his hand against her soft skin. He fingered her pebbled tip and followed it up with a nibble, making her knees weak.

"Love, kelan ba tayo lelevel up sa Base 3?"

His mouth was planting soft kisses against her neck and shoulders. It took him a while before he answered.

"Malapit na."