Chapter 25 - Caption

Happy weekend dear readers! Thank you for the nice comments, haha daming kinilig kay Kat and Inggo:) 

I'm keeping it light for now, because it's going to change tempo soon, but not in the way you expect. Just stay tuned, it's going to get busy. In this chapter, Inggo tries to seek Dei's help to talk to Kat. This favor paves the way for us to reach the teaser some of you read. 

Enjoy the weekend my friends. Hope you all get rested and bond with your families happily :)

After a few more failed attempts of Inigo to get Kat to talk to him, he resourcefully contacted Dei and asked for her help to make Kat listen to him. Their first meeting was at her office one afternoon while Kat was busy with her shoots.

"Ikaw pala si Inigo. Kat told me all about you."

Inigo was wary of Dei. She was smart as a whip, an overachiever, based on a profile published about her in a women's magazine online. She was currently CEO of Pageturner at only twenty five years of age, but her acumen was in no way that of a greenhorn.

As packages go, Dei would make it as a commercial model or a movie star. It surprised him that she was pretty, admittedly prettier and taller than Kat was. He expected someone looking bookish or nerdy, with the kind of smarts he read. The images of her online did not do justice to how she looked face-to-face. She had a magnetic quality to her just like Kat, but his Kat had more spunk.

His Kat daw oh. Haha, dream on boy.

"Dei.......Kat and I got off on the wrong foot. My bad, really."

"Ikaw pala may kailangan sa kanya, why did you have to insult her like that? Nakatikim ka tuloy. Sakit, no? Muay Thai expert yun eh. Research ka kasi before you open your mouth."

"Lahi niyo ba talaga magsalita ng diretsahan? Walang filter?"

Dei looked calm and collected, but she could cut him down with a stare. Her eyes were so expressive, and right now they were looking at him unblinking.

"Ikaw, is it second nature for you to put your foot in your mouth? Anong lasa? Sarap siguro no, paulit-ulit mong ginagawa eh."

"I know I let my mouth get the better of me—"

"In more ways than one, asshole."

"Yes, I was inebriated, bad excuse, I know. My film got an invite to be viewed in Cannes, I wanted to add something to it and needed more funding. I just got dispirited about how things work in the industry. I thought I could survive on just sheer talent, but no. It's still who you know."

"Kat rose from anonymity without knowing anybody. Four years of auditions and bit parts, but she was determined. She defied us and proved us wrong. You probably have a right to feel jaded from experience, but you had no right to insult Kat the way you did. Hindi naman siya nagsabing magpalakas ka sa kanya."

The door to the conference room opened and in walked a tall, muscled greek god. Right before his eyes, the ice queen transformed, and he was amazed at the change in her face. Her features softened, her eyes filled with an emotion he couldn't describe.

"What seems to be the problem here?"

Richard walked over to Dei and kissed her full on the mouth, as though staking his territory. She didn't seem to mind, in fact they both seemed to have forgotten Inigo was in the room. Dei was kissing his jaw and inserting her hand in his jacket pocket. Inigo had to say something before things got out of hand.

"Uhhh.......ahemmm.....I'm....I can see you.......... guys?"

"Ano ba problema nito, Dei?"

"Suitor ni Kat yan."

"SUITOR?!" Richard gave him a thunderous look.

"Huy teka, wait........easy. Hindi po ako suitor."

"We better sit down, Jay. This is Inggo Sandejas, the director I was telling you about. The one who insulted Kat. Tapos ngayon gustong i-date si Kat, nagpapatulong pa sakin. Inggo this is my boyfriend, Jay."

All three sat down again after the two men shook hands.

"It's Inigo.....actually."

"Bakit ba, eh asshole ka sa kapatid ko, to me you are Inggo."

"I'm sorry. Really I am. I want to make amends, that's why I'm asking for your help. I want to work with your sister, no hidden agenda, Dei. I just want us to be friends."

"Why? Why my sister? Kasi sikat siya?"

"No! I withdrew my entry for Cannes already and the funding will come if it's meant for me. I know I hurt her, please........help me make amends. I'll return the favor. If there's a way for me to do that."

"Actually meron.......we'll talk another time. Meanwhile I'll talk to Kat. Set another appointment with me through Jean outside."

She turned away from him as though to dismiss him. Richard was looking at her so intently that Inigo felt like an intruder. He seemed like a nice guy but there was an air of dignity and authority about him, the kind that made people take a second look at him. It was more than being handsome, there was strength of character in his face.

He was fascinated with the interaction between Dei and Richard. The way Richard played with her hand while she was talking to him, her casual caress on his face when their eyes met, that kiss when Richard entered the room. The connection was so palpable. He was envious of it.

She rose from her seat but Richard pulled her down to his lap, and she giggled. It transformed Dei's face, it made her look so young, a far cry from the sophisticated businesswoman who faced him earlier. They looked so happy. They were oblivious to their surroundings

He wanted that kind of infectious happiness. He wanted to get lost in a glance or a touch. He suddenly felt lonely, he'd been on solitary existence most of his life and was happy that way. Lately though, there was a restlessness in him that he was unfamiliar with. He was unhappy with his work, he felt something was missing. And then he met Kat and it was like his heart was jumpstarted.

He turned away from Richard and Dei, who were already lost in their own world. He hoped he and Kat were entitled to that same kind of happiness. He did not believe in destiny but surely, there was a reason why he and Kat crossed paths.