love him

Gabrielle Marie Dasher

The smell of cigarettes ignited through my nose from the minute I stepped in to our new home. I knew the smell of cigarettes so well from the few times I've tried them and Zachary used to smoke all the time whenever dad wasn't home.

"Tell dad about this and I'll kill you Gabrielle." Fourteen year old Zachary would whisper to nine year old me and my brothers.

Eventually dad found out when he walked in on Zachary smoking in his room.I'm not sure what happened that night, I just knew Zachary got some ear pulls and a speech that left him in tears.

I walk into the dark living room that was dimmed, only source of light coming from the window.The moonlight was the the one reason I could spot Carter on the sofa, with a cigarette between his lips.

Carter quickly burns out the cigarette on the red ash tray I had never even seen, "Oh thank goodness you're home." Carter sighed, cupping my face.

I gave him a werid look for two reasons.Why wouldn't I be home and why was he smoking.In all honesty I didn't even know Carter smoked anything other than mary Jane.

"Is there something wrong?" I question, setting my purse down on the sofa, Carter still never letting go of my face.

Carter nodded, putting his forehead against mine.I noticed how shaky he seemed, the reason for why he was smoking.Tucker had explained to me the night Carter had hurt me that Carter had trouble battling things on his own.

In other words when something stressful or bad was happening Carter would turn to alcohol, smoking or drugs.

"They suspect where we are." Carter's closed his eyes, as if this really bothered him like it began to bother me.

They had to be Carter's mom, step dad, my brothers, the whole police department of Ocean Ridge, and the whole damn town.

My mouth fell slightly open, but words didn't seem to want to come out.My hands began to tremble, with the feeling of panic crawling up my spine.The air felt like it was just punched out my gut and this was the first reaction to the nightmare that was beginning to strike.

Because Carter being taken away from me was the nightmare I didn't want.

"Why are we still standing here?" I whisper, pulling away from him making his brown eyes open suddenly.

I began picking up mine and Carter's personal belongings, phones, money, keys and our photos.Our clothes were packed already due to us being to lazy to even unpack, so there was no trouble in getting that.

I wanted to get every trace of us being in this house gone.I couldn't go back home, the trouble I would get in to is probably my death sentence. Zachary and Bryson weren't going to be gentle on me running away or how I managed to run away with my boyfriend.

Carter's hand grabs my wrist gently, but firmly to make me look up at up at him,"Calm down baby, it will all be alright." Carter whispered, but I saw the uncertainty in his eyes.

I shook my head,"They will seperate us from each other that's not alright.Are you...backing out on running away with me?" I asked, my voice sounding strong, but the thought of him not wanting this anymore caused something in me to break into thousand of pieces.

He didn't reply instanly and that was enough to make my lip tremble before I quickly hid it.I pulled my wrist from his grasp, dropping his things on the sofa and walked my way upstairs.

Breath Gabrielle,

His footsteps rang behind me as he called for me to stop, but all I kept reminding myself was to breathe.To breathe, but it was kinda hard to breathe when you didn't have a reason to do it.