One⛓

Caroline's P.O.V

      It's freezing cold and the shelter near 3rd ave is closed. I cling to my cold shoulders, as I drudge through the sleet that soaked through my sneakers. This New York weather can really be a bitch sometimes, and to top it off the rain was barreling down on me.

     My glasses are smudged from the rain and I can hardly tell where I'm headed, but I knew I had to make it somewhere, the streets aren't safe for me right now. I started walking faster as the rain got heavier and then it hit me, no not as in a thought hit me, something really hit me. Or should I say someone.

        I was knocked to the ground and landed hard on my ass, I groaned and looked up "What the fuck!" I muttered "I'm so sorry." a man exclaimed. His voice sounded so inviting that I almost didn't realize that he extended his hand. Normally people don't really give me the time of day, let alone a hand to help me up. I took his hand as he helped me off the ground, I reached down and grabbed my glasses off the floor only to see that they were broken. I sighed "You broke my glasses." I said, the man looked down at me apologetically "Please allow me to pay for it I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there this is completely on me." He says.

      I sucked my teeth not really wanting much else to do with this man "No thanks." I say plainly, as I go to head off he places his hand on my shoulder. "I feel horrible please at least allow me to drop you off, where's your house I'm sure it's not too much trouble." He said. I looked away "Again, really kind offer but I'm homeless." I said. I heard him let out a deep sigh "Come with me." he said and I shook my head "Oh no sir seriously, thanks but no thanks I'll be fine." I protest, I can't follow a man that I don't know. That's how people go missing. He lightly grabbed my hand "Please Ma'am, I insist." He said. I stood there silently for a moment. I was about to decline his offer again, when the cold hit my back. Normally I would never dream of following a strange man that I just met in the middle of New York, but it's cold and a bitch is tired.

      We walked to a car which I'm guessing is nice I can't really see, I sit down in the passenger seat and the seat warmers hit me. I jumped a little bit, but soon got used the the nice warm feeling. I turned to him "You can drop me off around 3rd." "But then how will I find you again to fix your glasses?" He asked. I shrugged "I'll manage, I don't want to cause you anymore trouble. You already have a stranger in your car, I don't even know your name it's not like we're friends or anything." I said.

       He looked stunned by my words but it's the truth, nobody stays forever. Especially not a stranger no matter how nice people seem it always ends the same. "My names Kasper, now stop being so damn stubborn and accept my help." He stated. I huffed and sat back in my seat "Fine, but you better not kill and eat me." I said jokingly. He laughed "I promise I won't kill you." He said.

    He started the car "Where are you taking me?" I asked "Somewhere safe and warm, it's not safe for you out here." he stated. I inhaled sharply, how desperate am I that I'm in a strangers car. The thought of this is just so crazy to me, but what else was I to do. "Caroline." I said "That's my name." "It's beautiful, it suits you." He said. Thank god I'm dark skin because that made me blush.
....
        Kasper drove me to LensCrafters and got me a new pair of glasses, I wanted to keep my old frame but he insisted on a new one. Honestly this kindness is really throwing me, if he's really a murderer this is the nicest one ever.

     He drove me to a very big house and it looked so beautiful, like nothing I would ever dream of walking up to. He got out and opened my door and I thanked him, he entered a password in and the large gates opened. We walked up to the steps of his house and I inhaled deeply and stopped, he looked down at me "Trust me." he said. I hesitated, I'm already at the second location, if he is gonna kill me it's already too late. I nodded my head and walked in with him. I can't believe that I'm being so foolish by putting all my trust into a stranger.