Chapter 1

Beep beep, beep beep, beep beep.

Groggily, I got up, slamming the off button of my alarm clock. As I got up, I glanced to see what time it was. 4:00 A.M. I slugged out of my room, grabbing my midnight black messenger bag.

As I ran down the stairs, I looked through my bag, just to make sure that I have everything for school. Notebooks? Check. Pencil case? Check. Binder? Check. Keys? Check. Just as I was going to close my bag, I noticed something odd. They seemed like... eggs. Four of them. They were strange and out-of-place, each with a different design on them. Are those... Easter eggs? I wondered. But who would give me this? And anyways, Easter is still months away...

I rushed upstairs, into my room. No matter how weird they were, they were still gifts. And this would be my first one. These feel really important to me... as if they were part of my heart and soul. Opening my closet, I grabbed the nearest bag I could find: a small, crimson red lunchbox. I transferred the eggs into the lunchbox, and then put the lunchbox in my bag.

Stumbling downstairs again, I grabbed a box of Cheerios and set it into a bowl, which was filled with milk. After wolfing it all down, I grabbed my navy blue jacket and exited the house, heading towards my school, which was a two hour walk.

Tiring, isn't it?

I jumped. "Wh-who's there?!" I shouted, startled, and looked around.

… Nothing out of the usual...

I sighed. It was just my imagination, I suppose. All this schoolwork is starting to stress me out, isn't it? All because of my stupid parents. Can't they let me go to the school that's a five minute walk from home?! No, just because "this school is better."

It's so stupid, isn't it? Don't you just wish to tell them off? To tell them your true feelings?

I jumped, this time tripping and landing face-flat onto the concrete ground. Tears formed in my eyes.

Ouch... That must've hurt. You ok?

I clenched my fists. "NO I'M NOT!" I shouted. "I fell face-flat into the floor and now you're asking me am I ok?! And also, why are you even hiding from me in the first place?! Are you just waiting to scare the crap outta me?!"

What the...?

My bag.. It was glowing. Reaching into it, I saw the source of the light: my lunchbox. Carefully, I reached into my bag, slowly pulling it out.

"HELLO THERE!" Something flew out of my bag, scaring the heck outta me.

"AHHHHHHH!" I screamed, with a high-pitched voice that probably woke up all the sleeping neighbors. I clenched my heart, and regained my composure. "Wh-what was that?!" I asked myself.

"A shugo chara. I'm a shugo chara," a pint-sized fairy-girl or whatever announced, whatever the heck that is.

She had blonde hair, and was radiating a sort of merriness. She had a pair of angel-like wings, and also had on a yellow t-shirt with a smiley-face in the center of it all. She wore a cute and stylish skirt, with tiny little designs on it.

"U-Um... What is that supposed to be..."

She smiled. "A shugo chara is supposed to be basically a guardian character for a person. Each and every person has a heart's egg, and then that's where we are born from. An individual's heart's egg if formed when one dreams to be a different version of him or herself."

I slowly nodded, processing the information. "So... you are a 'shugo chara'... Am I dreaming or something?"

She shook her head. "Nope. We shugo charas are always there, dream or no dream. I'm Emi, by the way. Nice to meet you, Shizuko. I've been waiting for this moment.. when I could finally get to meet you.

"N-nice to meet you too..." I stuttered. "Emi."

She beamed. "Just remember... If you don't believe in us, then we'll disappear. So... always believe in your dream. Always believe in us. Ok?"

I slowly nodded. "O-ok..."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Pinky promise?" she asked, pulling out her hand and sticking up her pinky finger.

I smiled, and nodded. I hooked my pinky finger into hers, and said, "Pinky promise."

I have a feeling... that I can be reborn now. As a different person. As ME. Thank you, Emi. I will always believe in you.

Relationship-building a bit too soon? Yes, I know. And I'm sorry. I can't think of any other way to introduce Emi like that... so sorry everyone..

But anyways, thanks for reading this, everyone! ^_^