Chapter 25

Sensei clapped her hands. "Ok, auditioners, walk over this way," she said, motioning for us to walk in front of her. Today was the last day of auditioning. She nodded. "First off, we'll have to take turns. Starting from the first in line, please come up."

I sighed, waiting patiently as the line slowly subsided. I had a bad feeling about auditioning, but Misaki made me come, so I decided to audition last.

"Next," Sensei said.

Slowly and nervously, I walked onto the stage. "I-I'll be singing Heartful Song by Hoshina Utau," I stammered. I was having a bad case of stage fright.

"~Don't be afraid, just close your eyes and sing! Relax, and let the beauty of music begin!~" Kazu soothed.

"GO SHIZUKO-CHAN!" Misaki shouted on the top of her lungs. "YOU CAN DO IT!"

I nodded, and closed my eyes as the music began. Taking a deep breath, I sang:

"Daremo nai SUTE-JI (In the empty stage)

Yume no jikan ha mou maku ga oriteyuku (The curtain has already fallen on my time for dreams.)

Kinou to onaji asu ha (Just like yesterday, tomorrow will)

Nido to konai to kidzuku no (not come again…I've realized it…)

RASUTO SHI-N ha itsumo setsunaku utskushii kedo (The last scene is always painful and beautiful, but)

namida fuite tobira tatakou (I'll wipe my tears and knock on this door!)

atarashii watashi ni umarekawaru (I'll change into a brand new me!)

yuuki wo dashite (I bring out my courage)

hazukashigaranaide (without being ashamed!)

My Heartful Song

My Heartful Song

utau yo itsumademo (I will always sing)

anata ni todokimasu youni (so that it'll reach you!)

itsukara darou honto no egao miserarenakunatteta (I wonder since when did I stop showing my true smile,)

konna watashi wo akiramenaide mattetekureta no (don't give up on me, you've waited for me!)

kodoku no tate wo kakage jibun to tatakatteita (I brought up the shield of loneliness and fought myself,)

hora tsuyogari no kusari hodoite (but now I release my chains of deceit.)

natsukashii omoide ni yasashisa ga (The affection in my nostalgic memories)

mesameru youni (opened my eyes and)

sunao ni nareta kara (I've become more honest!)

My Heartful Song

My Heartful Song

kokoro wo hiraite (I open my heart!)

ima (Today,)

atarashii watashi ni umarekawaru (I'll change into a brand new me!)

yuuki wo dashite (I bring out my courage)

kagayaki tsudzukeyou (and continue to shine!)

My Heartful Song

My Heartful Song

utau yo itsumademo (I will always sing)

anata ni todokimasu youni (so that it'll reach you!)"

Everyone clapped their hands and wooted. The auditioners were going wild. Especially Misaki.

Sensei smiled. "I think we might've just found the perfect leader! Next off, Shizuko, is art. The supplies are backstage, so take whatever you need, then start."

I nodded, and walked backstage. I sighed. "Thank you so much, Kazu! Without you, I couldn't have done it! But now, I don't know about art..."

Aya flew up, and then pointed at a piece of paper, with a paintbrush and a painting set. "Need," she muttered.

I nodded. "Got it." I took everything, and got back on stage. I gulped. I had no idea what to paint.

Aya smiled. "The beauty of art comes not within the actual drawing, but the emotions that it withholds. Open up your mind, and just move your brush to the flow of your thoughts."

I smiled, mouthing, "Thank you." I set my supplies on the table. I dipped the brush in white, and thought about the time that Emi was born, and the happiness that she had brought me. I swiftly moved the brush upwards, and did it again and again. Then I remembered the dark times, when the maid had made my beloved shugo charas turn into X eggs. I dipped the brush in black, and roughly stroked the brush downwards. I remembered the tiny light Ryuu had shown me through all that darkness, and placed a white dot in the pure angry darkness. Then I remembered when Emi had gotten me angry, so I redipped my brush in black, and twisted the brush roughly on the pure happiness of white.

I looked back at my painting, astonished. I had drawn a ying-yang sign, which seemed to have gained life, as if it was moving. I showed the paper at Sensei. "In the darkness, there is always some light, and in the light, there is always some darkness."

Sensei smiled, nodding. "Wise words, Shizuko. We have a winner," she announced. "Shizuko, a Guardian, a Queen, and now, Star Class's representative!" she shouted.

I smiled like an idiot. Kazu and Aya flew up. "~Congratulations!~" Kazu sang. Aya gave me a thumbs up.

"YAY! GO GO SHIZUKO-CHAN! YOU DID IT, YOU DID IT, SHIZUKO-CHAN!" Emi shouted.

Kina coolly looked over at my way. "Congrats," she muttered.

I smiled brightly. "I wouldn't have done it without you guys."