Chapter 57

A year has passed since Jack and I have been going out. We went on a few dates. He told me to not tell anyone of our relationship, because he wasn't allowed to date, and he was scared that word would get out, eventually to his parents.

Ring ring ring, ring ring ring, phone call, phone call! Ring ring ring, ring ring ring, phone call, phone call!

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Hey Shizuko," Jack greeted.

"Hey," I replied.

"Let's meet up in front of the school, 'kay?" Jack said.

"Sure."

"See you there."

"See ya."

Beep.

... He hung up.

I got up, getting ready to leave, when I heard a knock on the door.

Knock knock.

"Come in~" I sang. Ryuu came in.

"Hey."

"Hey," he muttered. "... You wanna hang out somewhere today?"

I shook my head. "Sorry, I'm meeting up with Jack today."

"Oh..." he muttered, looking disappointed.

"Sorry."

He smiled. "It's ok," he said, and walked out of the room.

"Shizuko," Emi called out. She looked tired and worn out.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Yuko's been very sick lately..." she muttered.

"So...? Everyone gets sick sometimes."

She shook her head. "Shugo charas can't get sick, Shizuko-chan... They're supposed to stay healthy forever... But for some reason, Yuko's been having really bad headaches and getting really tired really easily..." she muttered, looking sad. "... And no one else wants to play with me... And Yuko won't get better no matter how much I stay by his side... I think something's wrong with Yuko... Please help him..."

I sighed. "Fine."

She brightened up a bit. "Yay!" she exclaimed.

"Later, though. I need to meet up with Jack."

She looked disappointed. "Can't you just think about your shugo charas for once anymore?"

"I am, I'm going to ask Jack if he can help."

"Jack this, Jack that! Can't you see that you're being used? Can't you see you're hurting those around you?! Are you blind or something?! Can't you just bother to open your eyes for three seconds?!" Emi yelled. "I've had it with you two lovebirds! You two always do things together, and it's like you've forgotten all of us! Where is Ryuu, Yuko, Kina, Kazu, Aya, and me in all this happiness with Jack!? We were going to all celebrate and congratulate you, but then Yuko got sick... And you never paid us any attention anymore! Why, if Jack is so good to you, then I - no, WE: Kina, Kazu, and Aya - won't be your shugo charas anymore! We'll be strays! And I don't care if I disappear or get X'd anymore! As long as I'm not with you, I'm fine the way I am! You might as well just go! Go see your 'Prince Charming!'" she fumed.

"Emi..." I started.

"Go on, run away with him, on his white horse! Or, more like a dark horse!" she yelled. (See what I did there? White Horse by Taylor Swift, and Dark Horse by Katy Perry! X'D Onto the story...) "Stupid Jack! I hate him with all my guts! I hate him, I hate him, I hate him! I hate him so much! He's an idiot, and so are you!"