~ eleven

( chapter eleven; it's rAining liArs )

▂▂▂▂

"STRINGENT." ARIA read off a paper card to Spencer, who was sat beside her. They were sat in the Hastings kitchen, studying for their test tomorrow.

"Uh, tough. Inflexible." Spencer replied which caused Aria to nod.

"How many words do they expect you to learn?" Hanna asked the pair from the other side of the kitchen island, "It's not like you're actually gonna use them. It's not like you go to college and then you start speaking a different language."

"It's about getting into college." Spencer stated as Madison opened the back door of the Hastings house.

She shivvered as she entered the warmth from the cold outside. Madison flicked down her soaking wet black hood, "Talking about college already?"

"Hey, Mads." Hanna smiled as the brunette made her way towards the three.

"Hey," Madison cut herself off as her eyes met the brown treat on the kitchen table, "oh my God, brownies."

She picked one up as she took a seat on a stool beside Hanna. Aria met her gaze, "So, how are you?"

"Better." Madison truthfully replied, "My mom and I talked for a long time about everything. After so long of pushing each other away, I think it's finally bringing us closer." She sadly sighed, "I'm sorry I missed Alison's memorial service, I feel bad."

Hanna shook her head, "No, no, it's okay. Really. We all understand. Besides, the memorial is up, so you can visit it anytime."

Madison's eye stomach twisted a little in guilt as she avoided eye contact and took a large bite of brownie. Aria continued to quiz Spencer, "Meretricious."

"Uh, phony, flashy." The tallest brunette answered.

"Ian was at the memorial." Hanna told Madison as the other two kept testing each other.

Her eyes widened as she looked towards the blonde, "Ian? Melissa's Ian?"

Hanna nodded, "Yeah."

"How was, uh... Jason?" Madison asked, trying not to sound too bothered. She picked at her brownie, placing crumbs into her mouth.

"He was fine." She replied, "He's gone back to his parents so who knows when we'll see him again. Probably never."

Madison's eyes snapped up to meet her blue ones, "Jason left?"