~ fifty-six

( chapter fifty-six;
the red coAt )

( chapter fifty-six; the red coAt )

▂▂▂▂

MADISON WAS STANDING IN THE hallway of the King residence. It was a large and quaint house, with a pleasing colour scheme. She liked it. She moved a little further until she reached a picture hanging on the wall, it appeared to be of a young Max.

She smiled to herself. Her house wasn't like that. There weren't really many family pictures around, the only one she could recall hung in the living room and was from a family holiday when she was around ten.

Madison turned her head to see Max had walked towards a room at the end of the hallway, so she followed.

"Mom," He said to someone in the room. Madison moved beside him to see a bright, open kitchen where a woman stood by the stove, cooking eggs, "this is Madison."

The young brunette smiled at the raven-haired woman, "You have a lovely home, Mrs. King."

"Thank you, sweetheart." She smiled back, "It's so nice to meet you. Are you joining us for breakfast?"

"If that's okay." Madison warily responded.

"Of course it is." She gave her another warm smile, "How do you like your eggs?"

"Scrambled is fine." Madison grinned, "Thank you, Mrs. King."

"Please, call me Clara." She insisted.

Then from the doorway to the left, that lead into the living room, a woman walked through. Her tanned complexion and hazel eyes caught Madison's attention first because the dress she was wearing seemed to reflect the light onto her face. Madison watched the woman move towards Clara before pressing a kiss to her lips.

At first, Madison was a little surprised, but that left within half a second and she smiled. The atmosphere was so calming, so chilled, so normal, she'd forgotten what that was like.

After breakfast, Madison thanked Max's parents before the two headed up to his bedroom. Madison was perched on the end of his computer chair, whilst he began to pack some of the belongings away, that'd he'd taken to school the night before.

"You have two moms? That must be nice, I barely have one." Madison exhaled as she scanned his room.

It to was lovely, just as the rest of the house. Three of the walls were cream, with posters and pictures stuck on them and the one by his bed was painted black but was filled with hand-painted constellations, planets and stars.