~ fourteen

( chapter fourteen; stAlker )

▂▂▂▂

THE DOOR of the hospital room opened and Madison shoved the card underneath her thigh. Her mom instantly rushed towards her, her hand stroking down her daughters face, "Sweetie, hey."

"Hi, mom." Madison replied. Her eyes flickered up to the man making his way towards her. She raised her eyebrows, "And dad. Guess I wasn't dreaming you'd actually turned up."

"Madi." Katherine warned, taking a chair from the edge of the room and pushing it near the bed. She sat on it, facing her daughter, "So, do you want to tell your dad and I what exactly happened last night? No lies, Madison."

Madison's eyes descended and looked to her hands resting in her lap. She let out a sigh, "At Camp Mona, a car, it -- uh, it came out of nowhere and was about to hit me but Hanna pushed me out of the way and it knocked her over instead. My head hit the ground when she pushed me but that's nothing compared to the injuries she has."

"Why didn't you tell me? Why did you hide this?" Katherine asked but Madison remained silent, her eyes falling to her lap again. Katherine leant forward, taking her daughters hand in hers, "I'm so sorry, honey."

"Hanna broke her leg and ankle, and she has some other injuries too." Madison told them. She began to tear up, "Mrs. Marin said they might have to remove her spleen. Mom, it should've been me."

"No, no, Madison." Katherine stood up, gently pulling Madison into her arms in comfort, "Sweetie, please don't do that to yourself."

She pulled back, brushing her hand over the side of her face, removing the fallen tears. Nate watched the two, his heart felt so heavy. Seeing his daughter like this was something he never wanted.

He moved around the other side of the bed, his fingers reaching out to the flowers in the vase, "Who gave you these?"

"The girls." Madison lied, but for good reason.

"When did you five become friends again?" Nate asked her.

She furrowed her brows slightly at her father, "Stop asking questions you'd know if you'd stayed."

"Madison, please." Her mom warned for her to stop with the comments.

Madison snapped her head towards her mom, "What? You expect me to be nice when he left not only you, mom, but all three of us. He didn't even tell us he was moving to England."

Nate's brows pulled together as he looked back to his daughter, "Me moving? Madi, what are you talking about?"

The brunette turned her head towards her father, looking at him in confusion, "You're moving to England?"