~ thirty-six

( chapter thirty-six;
the house of nightmAres )

( chapter thirty-six; the house of nightmAres )

▂▂▂▂

TWELVE HOURS. That's how long it had been since A had sent the text to Madison. Six of those hours she had slept for, the other six she couldn't. Every problem in her life was swirling her mind like a hurricane.

Caleb. Jason. Wren. Hanna. Aria. Ezra. Her real father. And then A. They were all horrible but A was the worst problem of them all. How could they possibly think she would join them? But then she thought, if she did, maybe all her problems would stop.

Madison didn't have a clue what to do.

She was sat, staring blankly at her notepad infront of her whilst Ezra taught the class. Madison wasn't taking any of it in, she didn't care for literature right now. She hadn't been paying any attention to the point she didn't know class was over.

Madison felt her body shake a little, bringing her thoughts back to reality. She glanced to her right to see Spencer stood beside her, "You okay?"

Madison glanced around the classroom, seeing more than ninty percent of the class had already left. The brunette gathered her things as she nodded, "Mhm-hm."

Spencer watched her cautiously as she stood, "That wasn't really a question, more of a tell me what's bothering you. Is it Caleb?"

"It's a lot of things." Madison told her as they headed out of the classroom.

"Yeah. I know you've had so much going on the past few months, Madi." Spencer said, walking beside her down the hallway, "And I know that means you've been freezing me and the girls out, but you can talk to us."

"Like I can talk to Aria?" Madison questioned, "Who hates me. Or Hanna, who betrayed me?"

"Nothing gets solved unless you talk about it." Spencer responded, stopping at her locker. She opened it, glancing to her friend, "Much like talking to Jenna about what the hell she wants from your house."

The conversation fell flat as Madison's eyes wandered the hallway. She spotted Aria, who gave her a blunt glare before walking off. Then she saw Caleb, causing her stomach to twist.

"Or talking to the spy that got payed to look." Madison spoke, continuing from what Spencer had said. Before Spencer could respond, Madison was already walking towards the outside courtyard.

"I need to ask you something." She said as soon as she caught up with Caleb.

He looked at her with wide eyes, surprised, "You're speaking to me?"