~ forty-three

( chapter forty-three;
wild goose chAse )

( chapter forty-three; wild goose chAse )

▂▂▂▂

THE FOUR GIRLS WATCHED AS the trunk of the car opened and Wren pulled out a small brown bag. He handed Melissa the bag. Madison squinted, trying to make out what the pair were doing.

"What's he giving her?" Aria asked.

Spencer shrugged as she continued to frown at the situation, "Probably painkillers."

"Melissa does drugs?" Hanna dimly questioned.

"No." Spencer shook her head, "Not for her, for Ian. He fell from a bell tower, you're gonna need more than an ice pack."

"Wow, only Melissa would ask the guy she dumped to help the murderer she married." Hanna responded, louder than expected.

The girls eyes widened and they ducked behind the bushes to avoid being seen, by Wren, who had heard something. Wren shut the car trunk and climbed back inside. Within seconds, the car drove off and Melissa rushed back inside her house.

Madison slowly moved back upwards, looking through the bushes again, this time to see nothing, "They're gone."

The three girls popped their heads back up. Hanna returned to a normal standing position, brushing herself off from the dirt and leaves, "I can't believe Wren is in on this."

"Me either." Madison added. Her eyes flickered towards the DiLaurentis house when she heard a noise. Jason was walking down the steps with a trash bag in his hand.

Madison's eyes caught something in the top window, it seemed to be a shadow of a human and was gone within seconds. Her eyes widened in shock. There was someone else in the house. Was it Ian?

Madison knew Ian and Jason knew each other once, the house was close to Melissa and wouldn't be very suspicious to the police. So what if Jason was keeping Ian safe in his house?

▂▂▂▂

"How can you even think that Captain America is better than Spiderman?" Madison scoffed at Caleb as she stood with her back pressed against the brick wall of the school courtyard.

It was lunch and they had spent the majority of it together, considering she wasn't allowed to talk to the girls. It was difficult because she wanted to talk to them about last night, but at the same time it was nice to be able to spend time with Caleb during school hours.

"I don't think." Caleb smugly responded, "I know."

Madison narrowed her eyes at Caleb with a playful smile, "This is the part where we break up."