~ forty-nine

( chapter forty-nine;
losing your sAnity )

( chapter forty-nine; losing your sAnity )

▂▂▂▂

"I WAS SURPRISED WHEN YOU two pulled up." The owner, Harold Crane, said to Madison and Caleb as he moved behind the desk of the Lost Woods Resort, "Nobody really comes here anymore, not since they built the interstate. I don't mind though, it's quiet."

"Just sign in here." He said, placing a large open book infront of Madison.

Her eyes scanned the pages as she grabbed a pen, taking in several names. Madison's eyebrows crinkled together as she spotted a name that seemed oddly familiar to her, Vivian Darkbloom.

Madison couldn't quite put her finger on it so she ignored it and continued to a page where there was some space. She wrote Veronica Lodge.

Harold curiously narrowed his eyes at the brunette, analyzing her features, "Haven't I seen you here before?"

Madison's eyes snapped up to him and she handed him the pen, "No."

"You sure?" He questioned, and she nodded. Harold exhaled as he took the book from her, "I guess you check into the Lost Woods when you don't wanna be found."

Harold read over the sign in book before grabbing key room one from the hook beside him. He handed it to Madison, "Enjoy your stay, Ms. Lodge."

Madison smiled at him as she took the key. She scurried out of the reception with Caleb lagging beside her, "Ms. Lodge?"

"What? I use to read the Archie comics when I was little." Madison told him, "And I wasn't going to give him my real name, he's kinda creepy."

"Have you ever actually been here before?" Caleb asked as they closened their room.

"Uh, no." She lied.

They came to a stop at room one, "Why did that guy think he'd seen you before?"

"No idea. I've just droven past here a couple of times to my grandparents lake house." Madison told him. She twisted the key into the door lock and entered.

She flickered the light switch, emitting a dim light from the wall lamps. The two moved into the room, scanning the area that had a small, old TV in the corner, a double bed, some drawers and an ensuite.

Madison shivvered a little at the coldness and how dusty and old the room looked, "Maybe this isn't such a good idea."

"No, it's fine." Caleb closed the door and placed his bag on the bed. He moved towards Madison with a smirk and held her waist, spinning her round to face him, "Plus, we're alone."