~ forty-seven

( chapter forty-seven;
hAppy deAth dAy )

( chapter forty-seven;  hAppy deAth dAy )

▂▂▂▂

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" Katherine sang as she placed a stack of pancakes infront of Madison at the kitchen table, "Happy birthday, dear Madi, happy birthday to you!"

Madison stared down at the stack as she adjusted her black cardigan over her black dress. Her eyes flickered up to her mom, "Thanks but I don't think it's really appropriate to sing that right now, considering I have to attend the funeral of someone who tried to murder me."

Four days had passed since Madison and the girls found Ian's dead body in the barn. Spencer's family had quickly arranged a funeral for him as a chance for Melissa and a few others to say their goodbyes to him.

Katherine sighed, pressing her hands against the work surface, "I know, baby. I'm sorry."

"I'm only going to support my friends." Madison told her, "Other than that, he probably deserved it."

"Madi!" Katherine warned, "It was suicide."

Madison frowned, "It wasn't suicide, he died in the church, mom. My friends wouldn't lie."

"Then how did his body get all the way into a barn?" Katherine asked her. She became concerned, moving around the counter to her daughter, "Madi, you really need to be going to see Dr. Sullivan still."

"What I need is for my mom to actually believe me instead of constantly looking at me like I belong in Radley." Madison responded.

Before their arguement could progress, Nate walked in with a box in his hand. He smiled at Madison and pressed a kiss to the top of her head, "Happy birthday, kiddo."

"Thanks." She smiled back, "But please don't start singing, mom already covered that."

"No problem." Nate responded as he took a seat beside his daughter. He placed the gift infront of her, "Here you go."

Madison turned and opened the lid of the box, peering inside. It was a cake with messy pink icing and "Happy Birthday Madsy" written on top in purple icing. Madison's lips spread into a smile as she looked back to her dad.

"Made it myself," He stated before chuckling, "if you couldn't tell."

The young brunette smiled widely, wrapping her arms around her dad. She felt so grateful for her father being there for her, "I love it, thanks."

Madison pulled back from Nate as he spoke, "Did you want me to drive you to Hanna's before the funeral?"

"No, it's fine." Madison responded, "I'm gonna take my car."