~ seventeen

( chapter seventeen; engrAved secrets )

▂▂▂▂

THE BLACK ABYSS turned into red and dots of flickering white. Warmth was pressing against the skin of her face, and there was something blowing in her mouth. Her organs felt like they were on fire and her stomach churned. Madison's eyes flew open and her body instinctively turned to the right, choking up water from her airways.

She coughed up a large amount of water before falling onto her back on the ground. Her breathing was heavy as she tried to take in as much oxygen as she could to get her heart beating back to normal. Her body was in pain, mostly her head, which felt as though it was about to explode.

Then she realised what happened, and who saved her? Her head turned to the left to see Noel knelt beside her. His clothes and hair were dripping wet and beads of water were rolling off his skin. He looked out of breath and as though he had no clue what to say. Madison pushed herself onto her elbows, "Noel?"

"Are you okay?" He asked, still uncertain as to what to say.

With all her strength, she pushed herself into a sitting position before leaning her back up against the tree close behind, "That's the stupidest question you've ever asked."

He nodded, "I know, sorry. I just... you were drowning, you almost died."

Her stomach dropped at his words, her eyelids fluttering, "I... what?" She glared at him in a panic as she still tried to catch back her breath, "Wait. How are you even here? How did you save me? You could have been the one that pushed me."

"Why the hell would I push you into the river?" He frowned, hurt that she'd think that, "And then save you?"

"I don't know." Madison shrugged, breathing heavily, "Because you could be someone you're not?"

"Madi, I was out for a run." Noel clarified, then she noticed his gym attire and the fact they were on the other side of the river, "I was this side of the river when I heard a loud splash. So, I ran to the water, that's when I saw a body beginning to sink. And it was you."

Madison let out a terrified breath, "Oh my God."

"Look, I need to take you to the hospital." He told her, "And the police need to -- "

" -- no. No police, Noel."

"Are you serious?" He frowned, "Madison, you could've died. You said someone pushed you, they'll be able to catch them -- "