~ fifty-seven

( chapter fifty-seven;
hAck my heArt )

( chapter fifty-seven; hAck my heArt )

▂▂▂▂

THE BRUNETTE STOOD WATCHING A busy male attending to the roots of a garden bush in his front yard. His white shirt, his face and gloves were now smothered in brown dirt.

After Madison's discovery of the coat and cheque, she needed some answers from a person who probably knew her best out of everyone. She'd taken the coat off and left it in the trunk of her car.

Madison moved forward, accidentally snapping a twig under her foot. This caused Jason's head to turn to look at her from his knelt position on the ground. His eye twitched in surprise before he pushed himself up from the ground.

"Can I help you?" He asked her, slightly breathless.

"I need to talk to you." She said.

"I think you did enough of that when you broke up with me." He harshly responded.

"Jason, please." She moved a few steps closer, "It's important, it's about Alison."

Jason hesitated before he huffed, "Fine. Go ahead."

"Do you know if she ever recieved a large amount of money from someone?" Madison asked, stuffing her hands into her jacket pockets.

His eyebrows knitted together, "Why?"

"Please, quit the questions." She grumbled, "Just tell me if you know anything."

Jason's jaw clenched as though he was wondering if to say anything. He decided to, "That box I gave you, before I gave it to you, it had three envelopes in it, all filled to the brim with cash. Seemed to be from several different people."

"But why?" Madison frowned, "How? Who?"

Jason lightly shrugged, "It's Alison. She was probably blackmailing them."

Blackmailing? But why would Alison do that to my dad? She thought.

Jason turned slightly and grabbed a shovel that had been stuck into the ground. He looked back to the brunette, "Is that everything? 'Cause I've gotta get back to work."

He then pulled the shovel out of the dirt and dug it into another pile, where he was previously knelt. Madison watched him for a moment, about to leave before words slipped from her mouth, "I never meant to hurt you, but you hurt me first."