Learn To Fly (3)

Three weeks ago.

He didn't know where he was already. All he knows is that soon as he made the drop, there were shrieks and screams, and the birds were flying off from out of nowhere. In panic, he ran off into the forest, away from the path that he was instructed to take going there. That wasn't part of the plan. He was told to make the drop, wait for two men to check the package, and he'll be given another vehicle to get out of there.

Soon as he placed the package on top of the altar-like table in the middle of what looked like a sacrifice circle, there was a slight tremor and the chaotic sounds started. He ran as fast as he could, all instructions given to him forgotten as all he could think of was to get away from there. He believed himself to be tough. He should be, since what he does isn't any ordinary day job. But he never messes with nature. He would use all his charm and wit to get away from a sticky situation, and he wouldn't mind hurting anyone who gets in his way if it calls for it. But if it comes to natural elements around him, he knows better than to fool with it. He considers himself spiritual, even when he knows he would eventually burn wherever his final destination may be. He calls on higher powers to help him, sending a prayer every now and then.

He kept running, and didn't realize he reached a cliff. The sun was already setting and he couldn't help but admire how beautiful his surroundings was. The cliff was unexpected, it wasn't in the map of the protected forest that he downloaded. It must be more than hundred feet drop from where he was, and down below was all trees. He took out his phone and clicked on the GIS, trying to make sense of his location.

Tangina, kelangan kong makalabas dito. Male-late na naman ako. Papatayin ako ng asawa ko.

He heard gunshots fired. He looked back at the forest from which he came, looked down at the sea of trees below. He had to think fast. There was a rustle in the trees and he knows that whoever made those shots was moving towards him. Another round of shots were fired, and then a person came running out. He caught the person before getting to the edge of the cliff, preventing a really nasty fall. They fell to the ground, and as he struggled to keep the person from pointing the gun at him, he held the flailing arms strongly. Good thing his arms were bigger, a lot bigger than this person who can't seem to keep still. He yanked the hoodie down.

"Nic?!?!"

On top of him was his wife, now with a wide smile on her face as she realized who was holding her down.

"Hi Mahal."

She gave him a quick peck on the lips then stood up. He was still too stunned, looking at his wife who was holding out her hand for him to stand up.

"Mahal, dali na, baka maabutan tayo! Tayo na dyan! Mahal! JUNIOR!"

She yanked him up and he almost fell over again as he stood.

"Here, suot mo to, dali! We only have 2-3 minutes, tops."

"Ha? Ano to?"

"Basta isuot mo! Gusto mo bang maabutan nung tribo?!"

"Tribo?"

"Puro ka tanong! Gusto mo bang ikaw ang ialay nila mamyang gabi? Kasi ako hindi, at ayaw kong mabiyuda ng maaga!"

He took the jacket from her, seeing that she was wearing the same. She zipped him up, fixed his hair and pinched his cheeks.

"Ang gwapo talaga ng asawa ko! Ready?"

"Hindi ko alam pero sige."

"Ok, game!"

She pulled him for a run. As they jumped off the cliff, spears and arrows went speeding out of the forest, clearly aiming for them. She held his hand as they dropped from the cliff, and as they sped down fast, she turned and went underneath him. She gave him a lingering kiss, touching his arms tightly, and before he knew it, she had opened a zipper on the sides of his jacket. She released him and shouted.