bantay

FICTION
(first posted on twitter,
after that july 6 EB episode)

***

she's changed into a blue dress after their barangay segment, a complete transformation from looking like a three-year old girl in shorts and shirt during bulaga to a lady CEO, which of course she is. she was still taking photos and interviewing her subject for her HOB feature, absorbed in their stories as she always is whenever she learns of their stories. she feels a tap on her shoulder.

"ate mamaya na"

"atih kanina pa tumatawag, ilang beses ko na din kinausap kasi sa kin na tumawag. pati kay jecker saka kina reeza. atih ang kulit na. sagutin mo na kasi."

"busy pa ko ate."

her kuyas, aware at how she's been ignoring and deliberately dropping calls from a very worried and panicking dimpled guy at the studio hours since that segment happened, were observing from a distance. they could have left a few hours ago but had to give in to pleas of the guy to not let her leave just yet. so they were stuck keeping watch as she captures her subject in photos.

"ikaw na ."

"ako na naman? mas nakikinig sa yo yan eh."

"binigyan mo naman ng one thousand eh, makikinig yan sa yo."

"eh alam mo namang pag sinapian ng selos yang isang yan eh para ka na ding kumausap sa dingding."

"jose...baka naman..."

"hayaan nyo yang dalawang iyan. parang hindi kayo sanay. maya-maya darating na yang si tisoy."

"tumawag na din ba sa iyo?"

"ako na mismo tumawag. nang matigil na iyang selosan ng dalawa, pambihira! dinadamay na naman tayo eh! hindi dapat ganun! paguuntugin ko na yang dalawang iyan eh!"

as if on cue, said tisoy is seen getting off his car, neck craning trying to locate the woman whose eyes and smile has captured his heart, yet same eyes and lips he fears when he knows  she's upset. the kuyas call him so he runs to them first. jose was quick to clap at his nape, lightly yet enough to jolt him.

"aray naman, kuya!"

"kung anong tindi ng harot nyo kanina, ayan, ayan! alam mong ganun kabagsik magselos iyan! dragon na naman iyan!"

"hindi naman ako lumapit dun sa contestant kuya, nakita nyo naman ah..."

"pero yung ate gurl kilig sa iyo."

"siya yun, hindi ako kuya pao!"

"basta lapitan mo na yung isa, hindi na din kami kinikibo eh. para makaalis na kami."

"thank you kuya wally."

"ayusin nyo iyan, sinasabi ko sa inyo, naku...malilintikan kayo sa kin! maghiwalay na lang kayo!"

"kuya huwag naman! eto na nga pupuntahan ko na!"

he quickly ran to where she was, the production staff clearing the way for him as he approached. she already knows he's there but ignores his presence. she kept on interviewing her subject, even if she already has her material. he tentatively walks nearer, until she finally turns around, her eyes a little teary eyed. he holds her hand, thankful that she doesn't resist. they talk briefly, softly, again in a world of their own. she thanks the people around who have been hovering about, he acknowledges them with a wave. they enter one of the waiting vans, and leave the place.

meanwhile, the kuyas were still there, and saw everything that happened.

"aysus, mas matagal pa yung ipinaghintay natin dito!"

"bulong lang pala kailangan."

then a sniffle was heard.

"jose? bakit umiiyak ka?"

"eh kasi...shniff...malalaki na yung mga alaga natin. sa susunod hindi na nila tayo kailangaaaan!!! waaahhh!!!"