Library

* *    F  I  C  T  I  O  N   * *

She didn't know how to feel when she saw it. It's been more than 10 years since they last visited the place. The first and last time that they actually visited was when it first opened.

The tables and chairs were all dusty. It has obviously been some time since any of the school children had been here. Technology had gone full speed anyway. But the books were still there, in the shelves, some left on the tables, also gathering dust. It saddened her that the place had been neglected.

The plaque was still on the wall, but like those metal commemorative markers, it's gone to rust. She approached it and traced her finger on the letters. She felt her eyes going misty.

"Sino po kayo?"

She turned around to see a young girl, around 12 years old.

"May hinahanap po ba kayo? Tawagin ko lang po yung teacher namin..."

"Naku, huwag na. Bumisita lang ako. Dito ka ba nag-aaral?"

The girl looked at her from head to toe and slowly nodded.

"Opo. Recess po namin."

"Ah. Bakit hindi ka mag-meryenda kasama ng mga kaklase mo?"

"Hindi po ako sumasama sa kanila, magulo po kasi sila minsan. Kaya dito na lang po ako pumupunta. Magbabasa na lang ako, tahimik pa."

She smiled at the girl.

"Mahilig ka bang magbasa?"

"Opo. Andami po kasing magandang basahin dito. Sayang nga lang, kasi gumawa ng bagong library dun sa tabi ng kabilang building kaya hindi na ito naasikaso nung librarian namin. Madami na kasing computer po dun, mas yun ang ginagamit nila."

She nodded, feeling sadder that the books had taken a back-seat to technology.

"Pero sino nga po ba kayo? Kasi parang namumukhaan ko kayo eh. Artista po ba kayo?"

"Dati. Oo."

"Sabi na nga ba eh, ang ganda nyo po eh."

She just smiled and turned to look back at the commemorative plaque. The girl went near her.

"Nandito po yung ate ko nung una nilang binuksan itong library. Mag-grade six na po siya nun, ako po baby pa lang. Sabi ni nanay, dumating daw dito yung mga nagpagawa nitong library, para daw pong piyesta dito sa school!"

She remembered that day. All the kids were excited to see them, to see this place open. It was a huge celebration, and she's always treasured those days many years ago.

"Teka...parang kayo po yung nasa lumang magasin ni nanay...may kasama kayong lalaki..."

She was about to answer her when a man spoke from behind them.

"Meng? Nakausap ko na yung Principal. Mapapa-ayos na natin itong library."

The girl frowned when she saw who was talking. She looked back and forth between the two beautiful people in front of her, trying to place where she has seen them.

"Talaga? Kailan daw pwede masimulan?"

"Next month ang earliest. Uy, may kasama ka pala dito. Hello, ako si RJ!"

The little girl just nodded at him. He held out his hand for a handshake, which she took timidly but quickly retreated her hand. He laughed before turning back his attention to Meng.

"Tara na? Maaga pa tayo bukas para dun sa isa pang library."

"Oo, let's go." She smiled at the little girl who was still stunned at them. "Ano nga name mo?"

"Ahh...Althea Celestine po..."

"Mag-aral kang mabuti Althea ha. Natuwa ako na mahilig kang magbasa. Pangako, aayusin namin ulit itong library. Tiwala ka lang."

They walked towards the door, and just before they left, they looked back and waved at the little girl, whose eyes got wider, like she realized something.

"Sila nga yun!"

***

I hope and pray everyone's safe and healthy during these trying times. 

It's been a while since I last wrote. I do miss writing these fanfics. I just felt a little nostalgic today. Happy #ALDUBxADN250thWeeksary fam. 

Hanggang sa dulo.