Kate

My heart pounded an irregular rhythm. Even in the cool air conditioning of my car, I felt sweat pooling in the armpits of my uniform blouse. I would have to face a year at Saraville Academy without Chase. I knew I could always talk to Lucy, a girl from the year below, but she wasn't the same as Chase when it came to things.

Some might think that because I'm a senior, I'd rule the school. When I thought about it, the main reason people knew my name and face had to do with my friendship with Chase. Now I went back to the drawing board, since Chase and I weren't friends anymore.

At least at this time next year, I'd arrive at Yale, Harvard or Brown. Yeah, Saraville can do that for you.

Pulling into the lot at Saraville, I saw Chase leaning up against his car and taking to Andy Stols, and I thought I saw his shirt lifted up at the tails, showing of his new scar, even though it wasn't all that big or impressive. Slamming the door to my car, I saw Chase look around at the noise, and his eyes landed on me. He raised his hand in a familiar wave, and went back to his conversation with Andy.

Lucy, one of my few female friends, appeared at my side. "Isn't he gorgeous this year? Hair a respectable amount floppy, face scruffy, all chiseled and tan, Chase Underhill is a god,"

"I don't know what you mean." I asked, trying to act like I didn't agree.

"Didn't you get to see him this summer? And I mean all of him. Chime his bells for the Fourth?" Lucy counted as one of the few girls that understood that I wasn't really into all of the ultra-femenine stuff. She hadn't either until more recent years, so she had sort of become my confidante when it came to Chase since I, for the first time in a long time, couldn't talk with him about my issues with, well, him.

I blushed, "Uh, no," I drew, trying to figure out how to phrase it, "I wouldn't say it like that."

Lucy gasped, "Kate Jackson. You slept with Chase Underhill? It's about time. You've liked him forever."

Blushing deeper, I explained. "No, I didn't sleep with him. He may or may not have kissed me, though."

Lucy punched me in the arm, "Shut up! What happened after that?"

I smiled at the thought of kissing him for the first time in weeks, "Nothing. He has tried to get me to go out with him ever since, though."

Lucy slid her sunglasses down her nose to look me in the eye. "You're kidding me. Chase wants you? Finally. It's about time you two got together. Although Andy Stols isn't looking so bad either."

Glancing in his direction, I had to agree. At the pick-up soccer game, I'd felt so obsessed with Chase that Andy had hardly crossed my mind. Maybe I needed a change.

Walking towards the school, Lucy at my side, I waved at Andy. Blushing and looking a bit confused, he waved back, eyes quickly darting towards Chase.

In the annex, Lucy and I parted ways. Because of her year, she had a locker in a different hall I heard someone running and then grabbing my arm. I whirled around to face myself face to face with Andy.

Dammit, Lucy had been right. Andy was, without a doubt, looking good this year. He must have had Spanish blood in him or something, because he looked tan all year round. A shock of black hair appeared freshly buzzed for the new soccer season, and his brown-black eyes shone under the fluorescent lighting and popped from the light blue Saraville Academy uniform shirt.

"Hey, Kate." He said.

"Hi, Andy. What's up?" He seemed nervous. His hands wrung like crazy and his eyes darted all around the annex.

"Uh, well you know that back-to-school dance happening this weekend?" I briefly nodded my head in understanding. "Well, I wondered... if you would want to maybe go with me?" His hands hadn't stopped fidgeting; Andy had always seemed super shy, and in an incredibly cute kind of way. In all honesty, it surprised me that he had even asked me out. I knew of a few girls that had nursed crushes on him, mainly because of his status on the soccer team, but they all gave up rather soon because of his quietness.

I felt more taken aback than I thought I'd feel by this, and stuttered a bit before spitting out an "Of course! I'd love to go with you!"

"Great. I'll catch up with you after school to work out the rest." He squeezed my arm before running off to class.

Maybe this year would end up better than I thought.