Chase

Kate and I had just celebrated four years together. The best four years of my life. Doesn't mean we hadn't had our ups and downs, but she hadn't made me sleep on the couch yet.

We got to eat breakfast together every morning and have coffee, just talking about nothing. We'd complain about the kids on our classes, our fellow teachers and just life in general. Then, one morning that felt very different.

Kate poured me my cup of coffee, poured the rest of the coffee in the pot into a thermos and started making a different pot of coffee, with a bag of grounds I'd never noticed before.

"Katie," I liked using her old nickname from childhood. It usually drove her crazy, unless I tried to calm her down, but making her mad still seemed as fun as when we were young, "What's going on? I like any coffee, so if you want to switch to a different brand, that's okay."

She didn't turn around to look at me, "It's not that, it's-"

"Kate, coffee doesn't have any calories in it, so there's no such thing as a low calorie coffee. You're not even overweight. You're perfect." I went over to hug her from behind, and then I saw the label. Decaf coffee. Women only drank the decaf stuff when they were...

Kate turned in my arms and smiled, hands on my chest, "It's not that either. It's," She took a deep breath, "I'm pregnant, Chase. I know we wanted to wait a bit longer until we decided for sure we would settle down here since we're still so close to our parents, but kids doesn't mean-" I shut her up with a kiss, something I still did often.

"Katie," I said, her face still in my hands, "I've never felt so happy in my life."

Of course, she started crying.

...

So that's it. The love story of Kate and I that could rival the movies. Personally, I find ours better than any old movie. The timeless tales are never ending. Yet, there is a time for the telling of some to stop. And so, I, well we, bring the telling of this one to a close, here and now, for those who dare to enjoy.