Chase

"Dude, what do you think of Kate Jackson this year? I haven't seen her since the game, but even then I thought of winning more than Kate, then heaving you off of the field, I never really got a chance to look at her." Asked Andy Stols, a guy on the soccer team with me.

"Andy, I can't think of her in that way. Kate's my best friend. You know that." I tried to keep my voice in check in case he knew a tell of when I lied. Even though I hadn't talked to her at all, and had only seen her when it couldn't be avoided, I still couldn't stop thinking about the time I had kissed her, and tried to come up with a scenario where I could kiss Kate again.

It still made me a bit mad that Kate had shot me down. I understood that she didn't want to screw up our friendship, but by shooting me down, she'd pretty much accomplished the same thing without ever giving us a shot. That wasn't the best feeling in the world.

"And your point is...? Oh please, you've never said something or touched her in a way that might tell Kate you may want more? You have forever."

Everything crashed around wildly; I found it hard to keep my composure versus just saying everything. When she came home. What all had happened in the park. The feel of her lips against mine.

"Naw man, that part of my life is over. Time to scope out new people."

Andy laughed. "Then would you mind if I asked her to the dance? If you're completely, totally and for sure done with her, that is."

I felt a stabbing sensation my gut as I said, "Sure, go right ahead. I'm done."

"Great, thanks Chase." He patted me on the arm and ran off to catch up with Kate.

She would never say yes to him. I actually felt bad for telling him to go for it. She'd come back to me in no time. He seemed far from her type. Then again, so was I. And we had gotten together. Kind of. For a minute. Plus, he seemed so freaking shy he would probably trip over his own words. I knew Kate didn't like guys who didn't know what they wanted. Then again, I'd known what I wanted and she still shot me down.

Opening the door to the school, I saw Andy talking to Kate. I knew that face. I hadn't seen it in a while: Her happy face. Apparently my "he wasn't her type" hypothesis wasn't true. I leaned against a pillar to keep watching from a distance.

Kate just looked so cute standing there, looking all happy. She deserved to have a guy worthy of her. Obviously, I hadn't been.

Andy ran off ecstatic. Kate stood there looking surprised. Then her face broke out in a shy smile and her eyes shone like the sun. She had moved on.

It gave me hope that maybe someday, I could do the same. Someday being the key word. That hope still didn't stop me from trying to figure out what the hell Andy Stols had that I didn't.