Chapter 1: Saturday Jog

Today started out like any other; I went for my normal Saturday morning jog around the neighborhood.

I jogged around the corner, 3.2 miles down, 6.8 to go I thought to myself. As I continued on I was about to pass one of my favorite houses on the block, set back from the road, covered in greenery, it looked like a fairytale tree house!
Suddenly a tall figure jumped out from behind a tree "Boo!!" It shouted.

I screamed and tripped over my own feet, falling off the edge of the sidewalk into the street, headphones being ripped from my ears as my phone went flying.

"I am so sorry," says the tall figure.

I look up and recognize him immediately.

"It's fine," I said chuckling as I stand up, only to fall back down to the ground. " I think my ankle is twisted" I murmur to myself. He hears me and reaches down for my hand to help me off the ground. "Thanks," I say hopping a little on one foot to get my balance.

He walks over and picks up my phone, "here you go...umm your elbow is bleeding" he says slightly concerned as he motions to the blood dripping down my arm into a small puddle on the sidewalk.
"Come inside and we'll bandage that up?" He asks wearily.

"I'll be fine, really, but thank you" I reply as I try to limp away, nearly falling to the ground again. He quickly reaches out for my arm wrapping his other arm firmly around my waist to steady me before I fall.

"You'll be fine, really?" he says half smirking at me. "Come inside and we'll get you fixed up." He leads me through a gate and towards the greenery covered house. He opened the door and led me to the kitchen, pulling out a chair at the table for me to sit. He gets some ice from the freezer, wraps it in a towel and places it on my ankle. "I'll be right back," he said hurrying into another room. He quickly returns with first aid supplies.

We begin chatting as he cleans the blood from my elbow.

"Not to sound like a creep, but I've seen you run past my house every Saturday for weeks now, I thought it would be funny to scare you...I didn't think you would get hurt" he said a bit ashamed.

"It's just a twisted ankle and a scraped elbow, I think I'll survive," I say "and yeah you do kinda sound like a creep," I say jokingly. He looks up and smiles.

We continue talking for hours, he learns that I'm new to the area. I moved to California about 5 months ago from Pennsylvania, decided I needed a change in scenery, and that I'm finishing up my 3rd degree--BA in criminology, BSN for Nursing, and currently working on my Masters in psychology. I learn that he is an artist, loves Halloween, is an uncle, but he leaves out one 'minor' detail..he's an actor.

I look at my phone, several missed notifications, but what I notice is the time. "I really should be going, we've been sitting here for hours, I'm sure you have better things to do today," I say apologetically.

"Actually, I have no plans for today," he says "would you like to stay for lunch?"

I hesitate to answer, "s..sure" I stutter "that would be nice." He smiles brightly.