Chapter 8: Pulse

I wake up late in the morning, sleeping through my normal Saturday jog. I crawl out of bed and head to the kitchen to make coffee. As it's brewing I check my phone.
1 new message: Matthew
Hey sleepyhead, text me when you wake up (:

I fix myself a mug of coffee, and text Matthew.

Sleepyhead? I only got like 5 hours of sleep!

Matthew responds instantly.

How is your ankle feeling?
Do you have plans tonight?

He double texts before I have a chance to reply.

My ankle is doing just fine and no plans for me tonight. Why?

My phone begins to ring. It's Matthew, surprise, surprise.

"Hello??" I ask sarcastically.

"Good morning mademoiselle," Matthew says cheerfully. "I need to ask you something," he says in a more serious tone.

"What's up?" I ask curiously. All the worst possible scenarios playing through my mind.

"I'm going to do this right this time. Kaylie, would you go on a date with me..tonight? Matthew almost whispers.

I grin from ear to ear, "of course I will go on a date with you Matthew" I answer " What do you have in mind?"

"Wait...really...you'll go out with me?...that my dear is a surprise. Wear something nice, but comfortable! And comfortable shoes, ones that won't bother your ankle if you're on your feet for a while! Be ready by 7, I'll pick you up!" Matthew rambles on excitedly, once again I don't think he took a single breath until he stopped talking.

"Slow down Matthew!" I order. "I will wear comfortable clothing and I will be ready by 7. Anything else?" I ask.

"Come hungry" Matthew adds.

"Will do, now can I go back to bed? I say.

"Sleep tight mademoiselle, see you at 7," Matthew says.

"Bye," I say softly then hang up the phone.

I crawl into bed, sip my coffee, and I fall back to sleep, smiling about my upcoming date with Matthew. I know we had already gone on a "date", but this one is official, he asked me out, and we're not spending the evening at one of our houses.
I wake up about 2 hours later around 9:30 am. I decide to go for a jog, but I don't take my usual Saturday route past Matthew's house. Instead, I jog into town to a coffee shop that Matthew had pointed out on our drive a few days ago. I ordered a caramel vanilla latte and a chocolate croissant. I sat by the window in an old armchair looking out at the people passing by as I sip my latte. My mind wanders. I think about how less than a year ago I was living in Pennsylvania, my life stuck in a rut, not moving forward, stagnant. Now here I am in sunny California a wonderful job, working on completing another degree, life moving forward. I started over, new town, new me. I still don't have many friends, but never did I imagine I would meet my favorite actor. Never did I imagine I would be going on a date with him. I'm snapped back to reality when I see someone outside the window waving at me...it's Matthew, with a big goofy grin on his face. He enters the coffee shop and sits down in the chair next to me.

"Fancy meeting you here," Matthew said with a chuckle "so you really did pay attention on our tour of the city."

"Of course I paid attention! Especially when it comes to coffee and where to get it! Out of all the shops you showed me, what are the odds we go to the same one?" I ask.

"Well it is the closest to where we live and it's also one of my top 3 favorite coffee shops in town," Matthew says matter-of-factly.

We talk for a few minutes, I finish my coffee and Matthew has yet to order his.

"Well I'm going to head out, have to finish my jog, and you should probably order some coffee," I say motioning to his empty hands. " I'll see you at 7," I say with a smile as I leave the coffee shop.

I finish my jog and by the time I get back to my apartment it's about noon. I clean up a bit, make lunch, watch some TV, and then I begin to get ready for my date. I shower and stand wrapped in a towel in front of my closest. What do I wear? I try on several outfits, I need something cute, but comfortable that doesn't look like it took me 2 hours to pick. I settle on black skinny jeans, a black tank top, with a semi-sheer purple top with 3/4 sleeves with slits cut into them and my purple converse. I do my hair, slightly curled with a braid wrapped around the top of my head. I perfect my smokey eye with dark purple accents and I put on a deep pink lipstick. 7 pm and there's a knock on my door. I rush to answer it.

I open the door and Matthew just stands there staring at me.

"Do I look okay? Is this to causal? Not comfortable enough? Crap, I knew I picked the wro.." Matthew cut me off.

"No, not at all, you look great, perfect for what I have planned! "He says.

"And what do you have planned?" I ask grabbing my purse and locking my door behind me.

"You'll find out soon enough," Matthew says mischievously.

After about a 20 minute drive we pull up to one of the clubs Matthew had shown me, Pulse. We go inside and order drinks first. Matthew had a beer and I had a fruity cocktail. After sipping our drinks, Matthew pulls me out onto the dance floor.

"I don't dance!" I shout over the music. To which Matthew grabs my hand and spins me around.

"Now you do," Matthew says into my ear.

After a few songs, Matthew doesn't have to try to get me to dance. My body moves to the rhythm of the music. My fingers intertwined in Matthew's hair, his hands gripping tightly on my hips, he pulls me closer so that there's almost no space between our bodies. We move as one, we dance like we are the only 2 people in the club. We make eye contact and the world seems to stop. Matthew kisses my forehead before taking my hand, leading me back to our table. We order another drink. I'm practically sitting on his lap, one of his hands wrapped around my waist. We talk and laugh, as we finish our drinks.

"Are you ready to go?" Matthew whispers in my ear.

"Only if you are" I reply.

Matthew takes my hand and leads me out of the club to his car, he opens the door and helps me in. We pull up to my apartment building and walk to my door. I unlock it and invite Matthew inside.

"I had a great time Matthew. I never thought I would enjoy dancing at the club" I say shyly.

"I'm glad you had a good time," Matthew says as he brushes his hand against mine, wrapping his fingers around mine, pulling me closer to him as he taps on his phone around and sets it on the table.

A soft, slow song begins to play. Matthew wraps his free hand around my waist pulling me against him. My hands wrap around his shoulders, I play with his hair as we sway back and forth to the music. He presses his forehead against mine. My whole body is tingling. I feel like we're floating. I open my eyes and Matthew's eyes are open also. He pulls his head back to look at me. We make eye contact. Matthew leans in pressing his forehead against mine again. He gently brushes his lips against mine. I brush back a bit harder. His tongue passes across my lip. I part them slightly and the kiss intensifies. Matthew's hands grip my waist and lower back tightly, my hands make their way into his hair. We break apart for air, both breathing heavy. I release his hair and he loosens his grip on my waist. We look into each other's eyes and Matthew smiles that goofy grin of his.

"I've wanted to do that since the first day we spent together" Matthew whispers.