Chapter 13: Rain

By the time we reached Matthew's house it was pouring down rain and was beginning to get foggy due to the hot temperatures evaporating the rain so quickly. 

"We better make a run for it," Matthew says. 

"I suppose we should," I say as I listen to the rain hit the car roof. I slip off my shoes, leaving them on the floor of the car and hand my phone to Matthew to put in his pocket so that it doesn't get soaked on the way into the house. 

"On three," Matthew half asks, half tells. I nod. 

We open the car doors and bolt for the house. Matthew makes it to the door, unlocks it and turns around to find me standing in the middle of the driveway twirling around looking up towards the dark sky. 

"What are you doing?!," Matthew shouts to me. 

"Dancing," I reply. "Join me?"

Matthew throws his jacket inside, and he slowly walks towards me. He stands still about 3 feet in front of me smiling and shaking his head as I continue to twirl around in the rain. 

"You're absolutely insane," remarks Matthew as he walks past me to the car. He turns music on in the car and turns the volume all the way up so we can hear it through closed doors. He walks over to me and wraps his arms around my waist. 

"I've always wished I could dance like this in the rain," I say. 

"Your wish has been granted, darling," Matthew whispers into my ear and he pulls me closer. 

We sway to the music, our bodies moving as one. The rain is cold as it hits my exposed skin, but it's so warm outside that I barely notice. We dance for what seems like hours, Matthew twirling, spinning, dipping me to the beat of the music. We don't say anything, this moment doesn't need words. We occasionally laugh when Matthew trips on my dress or I step on his toes. This moment is straight out of my own personal fairytale. I begin to yawn, it is nearly 4 am. Matthew shuts the car off and walks over to where I am holding out my hand. Instead, he scoops me up and carries me inside. I giggle as he slips and we both nearly end up on the floor. We're standing in the entryway dripping wet. 

"I'm sorry," I say. 

"Sorry? For what?" Matthew asks confused.

"For the sopping wet mess, we're making. It was my idea after all." I chuckle

"It's only water my darling," Matthew says "We should get out of these wet clothes."

"I'm not walking through your house when I'm dripping wet!" I say.

"Give me a minute," Matthew says as he removes his tie and begins unbuttoning his shirt. 

"What are you doing?" I ask with a laugh.

"Well, I'm not walking around dripping wet either, I'm going to get us towels," Matthew replies. He takes his shoes, socks, and pants off, leaving him in nothing but his boxers, I turn around as to not stare. I hear him run up the stairs. He returns with a few big fluffy towels and a laundry basket. He throws his wet clothes in the basket and then motions for me to put my dress in as well. 

I blush as I can't seem to find the top of the sipper on the back of my dress. Matthew sees me struggling. 

"Do you need help?" Matthew asks. 

"I..uh...yeah" I give up and just accept his help. 

Matthew places one hand on my hip as he pulls down the zipper on my dress slowly, hesitating slightly when the band of my black lace panties show. His hands move up to my shoulders and gently slide the straps down over my arms until they are hanging by my waist. Matthew grabs a towel and places it over my shoulders. I step out of my dress and use my foot to toss it into the basket. I wrap the towel around my chest and fold it over securely in place. I turn to Matthew and we just look at each other for a moment. 

"Why don't you go hop in the shower, make sure your nice and warm." He says. I nod. "Ohh you can use my bathroom, the water gets warm faster in there. I'll grab you some PJ's after I get this stuff hung to dry."

I walk upstairs and hesitantly enter Matthew's bedroom. I walk into the large master bath. I turn on the faucet in the shower and wait until I see steam coming from over the shower door. I step inside and am instantly warmed by the scolding hot water. I quickly turn the cold water on more. I'm still standing in the stream of water when I hear Matthew knock on the bathroom door. 

" I have dry clothes for you sitting on the counter and I brought you a shower caddy with your soaps, I'll leave it on the sink counter closest to you, so you can reach out and grab it. " Matthew says as he closes the door. 

I smile, he's just too sweet and caring, and I do not deserve someone as great as him. I grab my shampoo and wash my hair, it feels good to wash out all the hairspray. When I'm finished I shut off the water, dry off and get dressed. Matthew brought a matching purple bra and panty set, probably the set that was on top in my drawer, gray shorts, mismatched fuzzy socks, one white with dark blue polka dots, the other orange and yellow striped, and my favorite T-shirt of his that I wear to bed. I use the towel to dry my hair as best I can. I brush my teeth before I grab my hairbrush and enter Matthew's bedroom. He's standing at his dresser a towel wrapped around his waist. He smiles and kisses my temple as he walks past me into the bathroom. 

"I hope I didn't use all the hot water," I say.

"It'll be fine, I'll only be a few minutes. " He says with a smile. 

I sit in the large armchair in the corner of the room and begin to brush my hair. I yawn a few times, but I can't seem to keep myself awake. When Matthew was finished in the bathroom 6 minutes later, he walks out to see that I am asleep in the chair, hairbrush in one hand. He pulls back the covers on his bed, takes the brush from my hand, gently picks me up and walks me over to the bed, laying me down gingerly as to not wake me up. He pulls the covers up to my shoulders. He walks over to his side of the bed and lays down on top of the covers, he kisses my forehead and rolls over to turn off the light. In minutes Matthew is asleep as well. 

I wake up late in the morning. Where am I? I think to myself as I rub my eyes and look around the room. I realize I am in Matthew's bedroom...in Matthew's bed. How did I get in here, I ask myself in panic. I look over and see Matthew under the covers next to me, only then did I realize his arm was wrapped around my stomach. My eyes widen. I gently move Matthew's arm off of me and crawl out of bed. Matthew stirs before sitting up slightly. 

"Where are you going?" He asks groggily. 

"To brush my teeth" I lie "go back to sleep." I was panicking inside, I wasn't really going to brush my teeth, I was going to leave. I didn't know what happened last night. I remember taking a shower....in Matthew's bathroom...I remember brushing my teeth and my hair, then it all goes blank. I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I slowly make my way back to Matthew's bed and sit on the edge. I feel Matthew's arms wrap around me, pulling me against his chest. My body tenses up. 

"What's wrong?" Matthew asks, sitting up to look at me. 

"Nothing, go back to sleep," I say as nonchalantly as possible. 

" Kaylie, I know you're lying what's wrong?" Matthew says with concern in his voice. 

"Really it's nothing, go back to sleep," I say sternly. Trying to force my body to loosen up. 

Matthew looks at me, one eyebrow raised. He signs and lays back down, tightening his grip around my stomach. He kisses my temple. 

" I love you, Kaylie." Matthew whispers in my ear. 

"I love you too," I reply.