Chapter 7: Surprise

Meow..meow...
"Hi kitties!" I say in a high pitched squeaky voice "are you hungry?" I question as if my cats would answer me. I flip on lights as I walk to the kitchen, Matthew slowly following behind me smiling and trying not to laugh.
"What!" I playfully snap at him.

"Ohh, nothing, just the way you talk to your cats is kind of funny.. and adorable," Matthew says as he sets the vase of flowers and wine down on the island in the kitchen. "It's late so I won't stay long, I'm just glad I was able to see you" he adds.

"Do you work tomorrow?" I ask.

"I don't have to be back at the studio until Monday since everyone is still on location filming," Matthew says matter-of-factly "Why?"

"Well tomorrow is Saturday, neither of us work, so what if it's late, let's do something!" I say "we could go out for drinks or drive around, take a walk." After I finish suggesting some ideas, I really hope he doesn't pick going for drinks, as I'm still slightly buzzed from going out with Jenny.

"How about a night in, watch a movie, or we could play a game, I know we didn't go out last weekend, but..I...I would really like to spend time just being with you" Matthew says looking at me, nervously.

"That sounds like a plan, I'm kind I relieved you don't want to go out, I just went out for drinks with my friend Jenny," I say with a laugh.

"Ohh I guess you don't want me to open this then," Matthew says holding up the bottle of wine he brought.

"Ohh never said that," I say handing him the opener. He chuckles opening the bottle as I set down some wine glasses on the countertop. "Would you pick a movie while I go change?" I ask as I head to my bedroom, not waiting for an answer. Matthew has a great taste for movies so I know whatever he picks will be good.

I go to my bedroom and put on some black shorts, a gray v-neck shirt, and mismatched fuzzy socks, one hot pink with purple stripes, the other sparkly blue with green polka dots. I go to the bathroom put my hair in a side fishtail braid and remove some of the heavy eyeliner and lipstick I had applied to go out. I left just enough on so that my eyes didn't look small and puffy. I walk out to the living room to find Matthew sitting on the couch, movie ready, wine, popcorn and candy on the coffee table.

"What did you pick?" I ask. Matthew didn't hear me walk up, jumping slightly when I spoke.

"You'll find out soon enough, " he says playfully "you did say it's one of your favorites though."

"Well that narrows it down, I only have about 500 favorite movies," I say sarcastically as I plop down in my corner of the couch.
I look over at Matthew, he's smiling slightly. He reaches over and picks up the 2 glasses of wine, handing one to me. He looks as if he's going to speak, but hesitates on the words.

"Ready to start the movie?"Matthew asks. I don't think that's what he intended to say, but I nod my head yes as I take a sip of wine. I grab the popcorn. And cuddle in my corner.

"August Rush!!!" I yell excitedly "this is one of my favorites!!" I say smiling brightly at Matthew, he grins at me.

We watch the movie, not saying a word, munching on the snacks, drinking the wine. I'm so enthralled in the movie I never noticed that Matthew spent most of it staring at me. When the movie ends I look over, tears running down my cheeks. Matthew scoots over next to me, we spent the whole movie on opposite ends of the couch, takes my cheek in his hand and uses his thumb to wipe away the tears.
"You're so emotional," Matthew says chuckling.

"I can't help it," I say bursting into laughter. I compose myself and ask Matthew what he wants to do now.

"Do you play cards?" He asks.

"Depends on what game, I'm a master at Uno," I say jokingly.

We play game after game of War, Matthew didn't want to play Uno. I start to yawn quite a bit.

"I should go, you're getting tired, you should go to bed," Matthew says.

"No I'm fine," I say, scooting a little closer to him, "one more game?"

I lay down a card and let out a huge yawn, I feel a spark go up my arm, I laid my hand on his when I put down my card. We stop and gaze at each other. I stare into his gorgeous brown eyes, I feel like I'm melting inside. He takes my hand in his own, the other coming up to graze my cheek. He pulls me closer, my heart races, our foreheads touch, our eyes close, we stay frozen in that moment for some time. I feel Matthew leaning in, I turn my head and give him a small gentle kiss on his cheek.
I panicked. Why did I do that I think to myself? I'm so stupid. He's going to hate me. I feel tears welling up in my eyes. I turn to get up, but Matthew pulls me back down, wrapping on arm around me, the other strokes my hair, he plants a small kiss on my temple. I look up at him hesitantly. He's smiling, that sweet, goofy, perfect smile of his.

"It's time for bed mademoiselle" he whispers. I walk him to my door, wrapping my arms around his waist, and rest my head on his chest. He wraps his arms around me, squeezing tightly. He rests his chin on the top of my head. His scent is intoxicating, the warmth of his body makes me tingle. I can feel the muscles in his arms around me. I feel safe, I feel like this is where I belong. He kisses the top of my head and pulls away.

"Goodnight Kaylie" Matthew whispers as he shuts the spot behind him.

I lock my door and seem to drift into my bedroom. I crawl under my covers and no sooner am I asleep. Dreaming. Dreaming of Matthew. Of Matthew and me and of the time we had spent together.