Chapter 19:Home, and Home Again

The flight seemed like it took 3 days. I was silent the whole way, with the news of my family, I lost all words, all ability to speak. I've only cried once, if I break down now I'll never get through this. Matthew doesn't try to get me to talk, he says something every now and again, I'll nod, but he holds my hand tightly the whole flight. There's a comfort in having him with me. He's only met my immediate family once, my parents twice, and none of my extended family. My mind is filled with a never-ending list of things I have to do when I get home. Plan a mass memorial service for 63 people, I'm not doing full funerals, just a memorial, it will be a lot easier that way considering the large number. I have to meet with several lawyers and go through each person's estate, settle any debts, put houses on the market, decide what I'm keeping and have estate sales for the rest. When we land, we rent a car and head to my parent's house, an officer meets us there. We pull up and I see police tape strung around like streamers at a party. The knot in my stomach tightens. I can't do this I think to myself. 

Matthew and I spend 12 days in Pennsylvania, we managed to get everything settled, anything that wasn't finished will be taken care of by the lawyers. A few days after we arrived I began to speak more and was able to keep a full meal down. I didn't sleep much though, we had to rent a hotel room, I couldn't stay in any of my family member's houses, I was just so disconnected from reality I couldn't even sleep in the same bed as Matthew. AJ, Kirsten, Jow, Shemar, Paget, and Thomas all called Matthew every day to see if we needed anything. We catch a 9pm flight back to California. We stop at our favorite coffee shop for a late breakfast when we arrived back in town before heading home. We lost 12 days to prepare for the wedding, we only have 18 days left. In those 12 days, we were supposed to be moving my things from my apartment into Matthew's house. I can't even bear the thought of having to pack up another box and move it. 

"Here let me get that," Matthew says taking my suitcase from the trunk of his car.

"Matthew I am capable of carrying a suitcase," I say with a small smile. 

"I know you are, but I want to do this for you," he says. 

I unlock the door since Matthew has both of our suitcases. When we walk into the entryway I almost trip over a pile of empty boxes. I see some of the things I had in my apartment, I walk through the house and find more and more of my things. I turn to Matthew, who had been following behind me the whole time. 

"What?...How?...Who?..." is all I manage to say.

"Our friends wanted to do something to help, and I know the past 2 weeks we were supposed to officially move you in here. I didn't think after all the sorting, packing, and moving you did back home you would want to come home and be rushed to do even more of it." Matthew says, "Shemar and Kirsten had spare keys to my house, and I had your spare key here, so they stopped by and got it. They and the others packed up your apartment and brought everything here. Per my instructions, they unpacked quite a bit of it for us. We can finish unpacking and re-arranging after the wedding. Kaylie, they love you, and you are part of their family, they needed to do something to help."

I begin to cry, tears of bittersweet joy. 

"Call them all, ask them to come over now?" I ask Matthew. 

"They should all be on set right now, do you want to go visit?"

"Yes!" is all I say before grabbing my purse and Matthew's hand before heading out the door. 

We arrive at the set and they are in the middle of filming. All our friends are gathered at the round table in the conference room for the briefing scene. AJ and Thomas are facing us and give a slight smile, Paget, Joe, Shemar, and Kirsten have their backs to us. Kirsten or "Garcia" turns to face the team. She drops her file and the remote and in a few seconds is darting past the camera crew. Kirsten runs over and wraps me in a tight embrace. My arms stuck at my sides so that I couldn't even return her hug. 

"Cut!! Everybody take 10," the director shouts behind us. The rest of the "team" heads over to Matthew, Kirsten and me, Kirsten still has her arms wrapped around me. AJ and Shemar join in the hug and next thing we know a giant group hug is happening. After a few minutes, everyone releases their grip and we all stand around, no one really knows what to say. 

"Thank you all, so much, for packing up and moving my things while Matthew and I were away. I can't begin to explain how much of a relief I feel knowing that's one less thing I have to do before the wedding, especially when that's what I spent the last 12 days doing." I say. 

"The wedding is still happening?" asks Shemar. 

"Of course it is, why wouldn't it?" I say softly. I had thought about postponing,  but my family is gone, that's not going to change, they will never be at my wedding. Matthew is my family now, I'm not going to let the tragedy that happened ruin this too. 

"Uhh..no reason.." Shemar replies. 

"I do have a question to ask though now that circumstances have changed,and some of the wedding details have to be altered," I say looking to Joe, "With my dad and brothers, and any male family member in my life now gone, Joe, I was hoping you would do me the honor of walking me down the aisle." 

"Of course, my dear, it would be my honor," Joe says sweetly, kissing both of my cheeks. 

"How about you all come over after work for drinks," Matthew says.

"Yeah, that would be great, I'd love to hang out with you all, I need some normalcy in my life right now," I say almost begging. 

They agree and Matthew and I head to the grocery store since we have no food in the house. I noticed people staring at me the entire time we were out. I couldn't wait to get home.

We put the groceries away, and get a few appetizers ready for tonight. We talk and laugh with everyone for a few hours, but end the night early because Matthew and I are tired and jet lagged. 

I go to the guest room to get some PJ's, but all my things are gone. Matthew walks in behind me. 

"Your things are in my room," he says, "Kirsten got a little too excited about moving you and decided to switch your room while she was at it. You don't have to stay in there though, we can move some of your stuff back if you prefer."

"No, that's fine, it's perfect, my things are in OUR room," I say as I wrap my arms around Matthew's stomach kissing the bottom of his chin, I'm too short and that's as far as I can reach without being on my tiptoes. 

When I finish getting ready for bed I exit the bathroom and see Matthew already laying in bed half asleep, the covers still pulled back. He reaches out his arms beckoning for me to join him. I crawl into bed next to Matthew, wrap my arms around his stomach and rest my head on his chest. I listen to his heartbeat. Matthew is real, he is alive, and he is mine, forever. I fall asleep to Matthew stroking my hair. 

"I love you," I mumble before I drift off into the best sleep I've gotten in weeks. 

《《《《《《《《 ▪ ▪ ▪ 》》》》》》》》

Shoutouts to MrsSpencerReid1012Criminalmindsgirl6, and GlassesGirl22 for their support in helping a newcomer like me out to gain some readers. It really means a lot!! 

Continue to vote, comment, and leave feedback everyone!