Chapter 29: The Secret

"Kaylie, wake-up, I need to talk to you," Matthew says.

I sit up and look at Matthew, he looks worried.

"What's wrong Matthew?" I ask scooting over to rest my head on his chest, he is sitting up against the headboard. Matthew wraps his arms around me, resting one hand on my shoulder, the other on my stomach. He hesitates when he starts speaking.

"I..uh..I just wanted to see how you're feeling, everyone was wondering how you are and when you're coming back to set. Your boss from the hospital also called and said to take all the time you need off," he trails off.

"I'm actually feeling a little better today," I reply, "I think I'll be fine by Monday, looks like this flu virus is finally starting to work its way out of me. 

"That's great," Matthew wearily, "Why don't you hop in the shower, the warm water will make you feel better, and I'll make you some lunch."

Matthew's Point of View

I'm in the kitchen making chicken soup for Kaylie when I hear a knock at the door. I open it to find AJ standing on the porch. 

"Hey AJ, I wasn't expecting you," I say.

"I know I'm sorry to just drop by, I finished shooting early so I told everyone I'd stop by and check on Kaylie," she says and she sits down in the kitchen.

"Matthew what's wrong?" she asks. 

"What? Oh, nothing..." I mutter.

"Gube I've known you long enough to tell when you're lying, so spill," she says sternly. 

"I...uh..." I can't find the words, a single tear falls down my cheek.

"Matthew, is something wrong with Kaylie?" AJ asks. 

"AJ, how do I tell my wife she doesn't have the flu. How do I tell her that she pregnant, but her body is fighting off the baby like it's a virus and that's why she's sick and she won't get better until the baby....until...until the baby is g..gone." I blurt out, tears streaming down my face. 

"Kaylie is pregnant, and she doesn't know?" asks AJ confused. 

"She doesn't know. She went to the doctor after a few days of having the "flu". The doctor did a blood panel when the office called with the results Kaylie was asleep so I answered the phone. The doctor said her panel came back positive. She's pregnant, but her body, it's trying to fight the baby off like it's some sort of virus. The doctor said this is one of the worst cases he's ever seen, but he has no explanation for why her body is rejecting the baby. His best guess is some kind of interaction between the hormones and birth control. He wants to see her to discuss her...options." I say flatly. 

"Options?" asks AJ.

"Options...she has a few. She can abort the pregnancy. She can continue on, with some medication to ease her symptoms a bit, but she'll have a greater chance of having a miscarriage. Chances are slim for carrying to term and delivering a healthy baby. I don't understand how this happened. She's on birth control, and the one and only time we don't use protection she ends up pregnant. I did this to her AJ, I made my wife sick and somehow have to break the news to her that she's pregnant, but the baby probably won't survive!" I say. 

"Matthew I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could do to help," says AJ softly, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

"She's already lost so much in her life, I hate being the one to take something else away from her," I say.

"This situation isn't ideal, but she has you, forever, no matter what. She has the rest of us too. She's not alone, and we will all be here for her, for you both through this, but you have to tell her, today! " says AJ.

"Thank you, I know I do" I say. I hear the steps creak. Kaylie is coming downstairs. 

"Ohh, hi AJ!!" Kaylie says cheerfully "What are you doing here?"

"Just checking in on you, seeing how you're feeling, we all miss you on set." AJ says to Kaylie.

"I miss you guys too, I think I'm finally getting over this flu though!" Kaylie says walking over to me, kissing my cheek before pressing her back against my chest. I wrap my arms around her, hands resting on her stomach, our baby is inches from my fingertips and there is nothing I can do to save it. I see AJ look down at my hands on Kaylie's stomach before giving me a weak smile. 

"Well, I'm going to head back to set, I'm glad you're feeling better today Kaylie! See you both later!" AJ says before letting herself out.

"She seemed a little off," Kaylie says, turning to look me in the eyes, "Have you been crying? Matthew, what's wrong?"

"Let's go sit down," I say, leading her to the living room.  We sit down, I face Kaylie and take her hands. "Kaylie, the doctor called this morning with your test results."

"Okay, so do I or don't I have the flu?" she asks. This is torture, just tell her I think to myself.

"Kaylie, you don't have the flu, you....you're..pregnant." I blurt out. She stares at me in shock. 

"W-what?" is all she says. 

"You're pregnant, your birth control didn't work, so when we...but that's why you've been so sick. The doctor said your body, it's attacking the baby like it's a virus. It's bad, one of the worst cases the doctor said he's ever seen, but there's no explanation for why it's happening. Kaylie, the chances of carrying the baby to term are not good. The doctor recommends aborting the pregnancy to avoid a miscarriage down the road.  I'm so sorry, I'm sorry that I did this to you. I'm sorry." I say beginning to cry. Kaylie curls up next to me, resting her head on my chest, she doesn't say a word. She simply takes my hands in her and places them on her stomach, cradling our baby. We stay like this for what seems like forever. Kaylie falls asleep and I don't have the heart to move, so I stay, holding my wife, not knowing what else to do. I don't remember falling asleep, but I wake up a few hours later, alone on the couch. I walk into the kitchen to find Kaylie at the table eating the soup I started to make for her at lunchtime.

"Hi, sorry I didn't wake you. I was hungry for the first time in days" she says in a whisper.

"Kaylie it's fine, h-how are you. What can I do to help." I ask, not knowing what else to say. 

"I called the doctor, talked over my options. Matthew, I want to try. I want to try to bring this baby, our baby into the world" she says looking at me with pleading eyes.

"If that's what you want, it's what I want too, but I need you to know I'll hate seeing you sick every step of the way," I say taking her hand. 

"I know, it's not ideal, but I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't try," she says. 

The next few months drag on seeing Kaylie sick like this. She has come back to set but has taken a temporary leave from the hospital. She sees the doctor once a week and takes many medications to ease her symptoms. The baby is growing, slower than normal development, but it's growing. We spend a lot of time with the "Team". The girls even threw Kaylie a small baby shower, not many gifts, in case, well...everyone has been so supportive. Kaylie has been so strong though it all so far, words can't express how much I love this woman.