Chapter 3: Sleepover?

"I..uh..would you like there to be a next time? Matthew asks sheepishly.

"I would like that very much," I say with a smile. "Is it too late to watch another movie?"

"Of course not!" Matthew says excitedly.

I picked a rom-com to get the images of killer clowns out of my head. Matthew made us some hot cocoa and we cuddled up under the blanket. He has one arm wrapped around my shoulder, playing with a strand of my hair. The fingers of his other hand are gently laced through my own. Matthew would softly laugh, pull me a little closer to him and rest his chin on the top of my head, every time I started to cry over the movie. I absolutely love rom-coms, but I'm a big baby and cry at them all.

I yawn and stretch feeling a pain in my foot. I sit up, rubbing my eyes throwing the fluffy comforter off to the side of the bed. I look around, confused. "Where am I," I think to myself frantically. I'm still in my jogging clothes. There's a note on the bedside table.

You fell asleep during the movie, tried to wake you. Come on down when you wake up (:
-Matthew

I sit on the edge of the bed for a moment before attempting to stand. My ankle is feeling better but still hurts to put much weight on it. I limp over and open the bedroom door, peak my head out and look down the hallway. I hear someone talking down the hall. I limp over to the doorway, the door slightly ajar, I knock.

" Hey, I'll call you back later. Bye"  Matthew opens the door.
"Morning sleepy head," Matthew says smiling as he ruffles my hair "how's your foot feeling? Ohh I have a new toothbrush in the guest bathroom for you" he says gesturing to the door adjacent from his.

"Good morning. My ankle feels a little better, still hurts though. Ohh, uh thanks, I'll be right back" I say as I hobble off to the guest bathroom. I'm thankful I'm able to brush my teeth, morning breath is one of my biggest fears, wash the smudged makeup off my face, and head back to Matthew.

"Do you want some breakfast?" Matthew asks before I even make it back to his doorway. "I make some killer waffles."

"That sounds great" I say as I follow him to the stairs. He turns around reaching out a hand to help me down. "Thanks," I say embarrassed I need help to walk down the stairs.

Matthew makes the waffles as I cut up some fresh fruit. We sit and eat and drink our coffee.

"So...I'm sorry I fell asleep during the movie last night" I mumble as I push strawberries around my plate. "I shouldn't have suggested another movie, I knew I was getting tired, I should have asked you to drive me home..."

"Kaylie, it's totally fine," Matthew says assuringly "I enjoyed having the company, and getting to know you, and hey what are guest rooms for, having guests over!"

I look up, brows slightly furrowed, biting my lip, not sure if he was just trying to make me feel better or not. Matthew looks at me for a few moments before speaking again.

"I guess you want to get home, I'm sure you have things to do today..." He says trailing off at the end.

"Actually I don't have any plans today," I say a little too enthusiastically, calming my voice I add " I still don't know many people in the area, I spend most of my time working or training for the marathon I'm running in 2 months."

"Well, would you uhh...would you like to do something with me today? I don't have any plans either." Matthew asks, gazing at me eagerly.

"I would really like that, but I need to go home and shower first," I say.

After breakfast, we clean up the dishes and head to my apartment.

"This is me," I say as I stop in front of my apartment door, I unlock the door and we walk into the entryway. Matthew closes the door behind him but doesn't move. "You can come in Matthew, the living room is right through there, watch TV, read a book, make yourself at home. I'll be out in a bit I say as I walk towards the bathroom to shower.

"Dang it!" I whisper to myself as I wrap myself in a clean towel from the linen closet, I had forgotten to grab clean clothes from my bedroom before I got in the shower. I open the door and peak out, I don't see Matthew so I beeline for my bedroom, passing the living room on my way.

"Ohhhh...I'm sorry."Matthew stutters as he turns awkwardly away from me when he sees me walking past in nothing but a towel.

" I forgot to grab clean clothes. I'll be out in just a minute" I say super embarrassed. I close my bedroom door behind me. I slip on black skinny jeans and a deep red v-neck T-shirt. I half dry my hair, leaving my long brunette locks to air dry, quickly apply some mascara and deep red lipstick. I grab a pair of mismatched socks out of my drawer and put them on, one is dark blue with gray polka dots and the other is gray with little raccoons on it. I head out to the living room, still limping.  Matthew is sitting on the couch flipping through the sketchbook I had left out on my coffee table. He looks up and quickly closes and sets down the sketchbook.