Chapter 16: Apologies and Chinese Take-Out

I pull into the driveway and see Matthew's car. I walk up the front steps, but I just can't seem to bring myself to ring the doorbell. Instead I just stand at stare at the door. This is stupid I think to myself, it's not like we're fighting, and with that I press the button and wait. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and the turn of the doorknob. Matthew opens the door and when he sees me a huge smile emerges across his face, he steps forward and pulls me into a tight hug.

"I've missed you," he whispers into my ear.

"I've missed you too. I am so sorry," I whisper back.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," Matthew says as we make our way to the living room.

"But I do. I told you all those things, and then I avoided you because I was ashamed of my past," I mumble.

"There is nothing to be ashamed of my darling, I love you for who you are, and you are who you are because of your past. Terrible things happened to you, but they made you a stronger, more loving, caring soul. You took the circumstances you've faced and turned them into something good," Matthew says.

I don't have words to express how relieved I feel. I smile at Matthew, give him a kiss on the cheek and wrap my arms around him, resting my head on his chest. After a few moments I pull back, look at Matthew smiling.

"So I asked the girls to be my bridesmaids and we got a lot of wedding planning done!" I say with excitement.

"Really, that's great!" I should probably find my groomsmen..." Matthew says crinkling his face in thought, "So what all did you ladies get planned?"

"So much, we spent a few hours at Miss Margerie's and picked the cake, a dark chocolate cake with an off-white buttercream frosting that will have purple and teal edible flowers that match the bouquets. We booked the caterer and the DJ from your favorite club, Anna and Kent are doing the photography, I started my guest lists, it's almost finished, I don't have many people to invite." I say so fast I don't know if Matthew could even understand me. "Ohh and we have the save-the-date and wedding invitation designs narrowed down to 3. It's up to us to choose the final design."

"You are amazing," Matthew says kissing my forehead. "It's almost dinner time, do you want to go out or stay in?"

"How about take-out from the Chinese place downtown and a movie?" I ask

"That sounds perfect, you want the usual?" Matthew asks.

"I'm feeling adventurous, surprise me!" I say

"Okay then, surprise it is! I'll be back soon," Matthew says kissing my forehead as he leaves. 

The front door opens and I immediately smell the scent of Chinese food. It's about time I think to myself, I'm starving. I walk to the kitchen to help Matthew with the food. He brushes past me as I enter the kitchen.

" I'll be right back, there's another bag in the car." Matthew says.

"Holy cow, are we feeding a small village?" I ask Matthew when he returns, looking at 4 take-out bags filled to the brim with take-out containers.

"Well, you said surprise you, so I ordered one of all our favorites and a few new items" I hear Matthew say from behind me. I turn and see Matthew standing in the doorway with a bouquet of flowers, a bottle of my favorite sparkling wine, a box of homemade chocolates from my favorite sweets shop in LA, and a stuffed cat wearing a bowtie. 

"What..What's all of that?" I stutter.

"Surprise!" Matthew says with a smile, "I felt the need to buy you a little something he says as he sets the gifts down on the table. 

"You're something else," I say as I give Matthew a peck on the cheek and go to put the flowers in a vase of water," But let's eat before my hunger turns me into a hangry monster" I laugh. 

"Whatever you say, mademoiselle," Matthew says as he grabs plates from the cabinet, chopsticks, forks, and spoons from the drawer. 

We eat and spend the rest of the night watching movies, it was my turn to pick so we watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy, as we were all cuddled together on the couch.

"We should probably get to bed," I say as I yawn. 

"I suppose you're right darling," Matthew says through a yarn. 

Matthew stands up, taking my hand, pulling me up off the couch, leading me upstairs. Matthew stops in front of the guest room, a look of sadness in his eyes.

"Goodnight Mademoiselle," Matthew says before taking my face in his hands kissing me so gently, but so passionately.  I stand on my tip toes and my hands tangle into his shaggy hair as I kiss him back a bit more forcefully. Matthew's hand move to my hips, gripping tightly as he takes a step forward closing the space between us. My back is pressed against the wall. The kiss intensifies and suddenly Matthew starts to pull away. I tighten my grip on him, and he pulls in closer. He picks me up and carries me into the guest room, never breaking our kiss. He lays me gently down on the bed and crawls up beside me. We pull each other close and only break apart for air. After some time I start to yawn uncontrollably. 

"It's time for you to go to sleep darling," Matthew says getting off the bed. I grab his hand.

"Stay," I whisper. Matthew nods and crawls back into bed. He lays down and I rest my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. And like that, I'm asleep, in the arms of the man I love.

  《《《《《《《《 ▪ ▪ ▪ 》》》》》》》》   

Author's Note: 
Sorry, this is a shorter chapter than usual and for the weird chapter title, those are the hardest for me to come up with! haha

 I'm going to try to get another chapter up tonight!

A huge thank you to MrsSpencerReid1012 and nylareid_forever for taking time to be my most faithful readers!