Chapter 28: First Day on Set

The next week I begin shooting on set with Matthew and the others. I've worked it out with my supervisor at the hospital to work part time for now until I'm finished shooting. Everyone at the hospital is so excited to see me on TV. 

"Are you nervous?" Matthew asks as we pull into the lot.

"A little bit, I've been on set plenty of times and I've memorized your lines before," I say. 

Matthew walks me to wardrobe, while he heads to hair an make-up, I don't see him again until it's time to shoot our first scene, my character being introduced to the team. 

I walk through the set of glass doors at the BAU, running into an older gentleman with graying hair and goatee. 

"I'm sorry, I'm Agent Evelyn Becker. I'm looking for Agent Hotchner's office." I say apologetically.  

"No worries, I'm SSA Rossi, David. Hotch's office is directly up those stairs," he says pointing to a small staircase to my left. I thank him and make my way up the stairs. I knock on the door. 

"Come in" I hear a stern voice say from the other side of the door.  I open the door and step inside. "Ahh, agent Becker, I assume."

"Yes sir, it's an honor to meet you" I say. 

"Please have a seat. I've read over your file and think you will be an excellent addition to the team. It says here you have an eidetic memory and can read 15,000 words a minute.  You're PhD's in Psychology, criminology, sociology, and a Masters in Criminal Behavior Studies are quite incredible. Your knowledge might rival Dr. Reid's." He says.

"Dr. Reid?" I question. 

"Ahh yes, you haven't met the team yet, why don't we do that now," he says standing holding his hand towards the door. We exit his office and he leads me towards what looks like a conference room. Inside I see various faces. The man I ran into a few minutes ago David Rossi. There are two blonde haired women, one dressed vibrantly, a dark-haired woman, a tall darker skinned man, and a tall thin man with shaggy brown hair.

"Everyone, this is Agent Evelyn Becker, she will be joining the team, please make her feel welcome," Hotch says. 

"It's nice to officially meet you, Agent Becker," David says, taking my hand and kissing it. 

"Hi, I'm Penelope Garcia, tech goddess of the BAU at your service," says the vibrantly dressed blonde woman. 

"I'm SSA Jennifer Jareau, but everyone calls me JJ." She says shaking my hand. 

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Emily Prentiss," the dark-haired woman says holding out her hand.

"I'm Morgan, Derrick Morgan," The dark-skinned man says taking my hand, winking at me. 

"I'm Dr. Spencer Reid, but you can call me Spencer...or Reid...you don't have to call me Doctor...." the tall man with shaggy hair stutters. He rubs the back of his neck and looks at the floor. He's kind of cute I think to myself.

"It's great to meet you all, I'm so excited to join the team, it's always been a dream of mine to join the BAU!" I say. 

----CUT!!! yells the director---

"Great job everyone, that's all for now, let's get ready for our next scene." the director says.

"Kalie you did great!" says Kirsten.

"You really did" Matthew says, pulling me into a hug, kissing the top of my head.

"Get a room you love birds!" Shouts Shemar. Everyone starts laughing. We all head across the lot to get some coffee. I'm looking around and I notice a black ford expedition sitting across the street. It's nothing I tell myself. Lots of people drive Ford Expeditions. 

We finish shooting for the day and we all gather at Matthew's trailer.

"How do drinks at our place to celebrate Kaylie's first day on set sound?" he asks the group. 

We receive a chorus of "sounds great", "I'm in", and "for sure". 

The next two months are filled with days on set, dinners with the "team" and lazy Saturday afternoons lounging around the house with my husband. Life doesn't get much better, until I ended up with the flu. 

•   •   •   •   •  •   • 

"Kaylie, sweetie, wake up, you need to drink something, you're dehydrated." I hear Matthew whisper. I sit up, groggy. Suddenly I'm overwhelmed with extreme nausea. I run to the bathroom. Matthew follows, holding my hair back as I vomit into the toilet. I finish and lean back against Matthew's legs. 

"You really should go see the doctor dear." Matthew says clearly concerned. 

"Okay I'll go today." I say.

I sit in the doctor's office on the exam table, I hate these gowns we have to wear I think to myself as I shiver from the cool temperature of the room. I stand up and go to sun shining through the window. There it is again! I think to myself. That black Ford Expedition. Wait there's someone inside...he has a camera...paparazzi. Great. 

**knock, knock** the Doctor comes in. 

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Gubler" says the doctor. 

"Hello," I say sitting back down on the exam table. 

"What brings you in to see me today?" he asks

"It's nothing really, I think I just have the flu, my husband was worried and asked me to get seen." I say. 

"Okay, well let's start out with a few questions. Any fever, nausea, vomiting? Regular menstrual cycles? Fatigue, soreness? coughing? Change in appetite?" The doctor asks a list of questions.

"I've had a slight fever, nausea and vomiting, mostly in the mornings. I am more tiered than usual. If anything I think I've been eating more, except for the past few days where I can hardly keep anything down. My period was lighter, only spotting the past few months, that's not entirely out of the ordinary for me. I've had irregular cycles since I was a teenage, I've been on birth control since I was 14 to help with the irregularity." I say.

"Okay, thank you, I'll do a simple physical exam, and I would like to get a blood panel just to rule out any viruses." the doctor says.

"Great, thank you doctor." I say.

The doctor finishes my exam, the nurse comes in and draws a few viles of blood for the panel.

"We will call you in 3-5 days with the results of the panel. You are free to go" says the nurse.

"Thank You" I reply. I head back home and crawl into bed. Where I spend most of the next few days. 

4 days later...   

"Kaylie, wake-up, I need to talk to you." Matthew says.

I sit up and look at Matthew, he looks worried. 

"What's wrong Matthew?" I ask.