Chapter 43: Writer's Choice

"You've all been so amazing at re-writing my character's story within the show, to accommodate me and the event of the two years, so I hate to throw you another curveball, but is there any way to add an Agent Becker pregnancy to the plot?" I ask the writers.  They just sit and stare for a moment, shocked. I squeeze Matthew's hand, nervous they won't be able to and will have to write me out of the show somehow. 

"You're expecting?" the main writer asks, smiling at us, we nod, "This is great, exactly the spin we need this season! We've been building up to this in a way, we've been subtly bringing Agent Becker and Dr. Reid closer together. Did you notice?" he asks us, smiling.

"We were actually talking about that last night!" Matthew says, "So Agent Becker is going to be pregnant with Spencer's child?" 

"That would be the obvious choice, but we can always shake things up!" he says. 

"No, no, that's fine, leave things unshaken please," I say laughing. 

"Are you sure you don't want to hear our ideas?" the second writer asks.

"No, I think we like the first option," Matthew says with a chuckle. 

"Great! expect a new script next week! We can't waste any time getting this started. We'll talk with the producers, and get everything set. Congratulations you two!"

► ◄  ► ◄  ► ◄

Hotch calls the team to gather in the conference room.

"Okay everyone, before we start, Agent Becker has something she would like to tell you all," Hotch says, stepping aside as I stand in front of the team.

"So, I'll be taking a temporary leave in a few months, and as of today, until further notice, I will no longer be working in the field. I'll be working cases from here at the bureau with Garcia." I say. 

"Why? Are you okay? Are you in some kind of trouble?" JJ asks. 

"I'm fine...I'm pregnant," I blurt out. 

"What?!" the team says in unison. 

"Wait, wait, wait. Whose the baby daddy?" Morgan asks, "You never said anything about a boyfriend!" He raises an eyebrow at me, looking around the room at the team. 

"I...uh..." I look to Hotch, he's the only one who knows the truth. 

"The baby is mine," Spencer says, standing up suddenly, sending his chair backward hitting the wall. Everyone turns to look at him, shocked at his sudden outburst. 

"No, really whose the father?" asks Emily.

I look at Spencer, he nods and walks over to me, lacing his fingers through mine. 

"Spencer is the father, we've been dating, secretly, for months now," I say, looking down at the floor.

"Aaron, did you know about this?" Rossi asks.

"I knew about their relationship, we've gone over protocol, and they understand this can in no way have a negative impact on the work they do if so, one or both will have to leave the BAU," he says sternly, "the pregnancy, I learned about this morning when Agent Becker asked to meet with me. Congratulations!" he says smiling. 

"I knew it!" shouts Garica, pointing a finger in Morgan's face "You didn't believe me!"

"As always, you are right Baby Girl," Morgan says, "I didn't think Pretty Boy over there had so much game with the ladies. Who knew you had it in ya kid." Morgan pats Spencer on the shoulder, chuckling a bit. 

I relax as everyone breaks off and talks amongst themselves, we don't have a case today, so Hotch gives us the day off to celebrate. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped like that, I know we agreed to keep us a secret from the team," Spencer begins, looking at the floor while rubbing his neck. 

"It's okay, really, I'm glad you did, They would have found out eventually anyway. At least now I don't have to get teased by Derek, he'll let it all out on you" I say smirking. 

"Great..." Spencer says jokingly. "I love you, Evelyn Becker."

"And I love you, Spencer Reid," I say as Spencer takes my face in his hands, softly kissing my lips.

"AWWWWWW" the team coos in unison. 

"Get it, Pretty Boy!" Morgan adds with a laugh. 

We grab our things and head out with the team to celebrate.

  ► ◄ ► ◄ ► ◄  

"Cut! Great work everyone, that's a wrap for today" the director shouts.

"You guys want to grab dinner? Some of us are going out," Paget asks Matthew and me. 

"Maybe another time? I'm not feeling that great." I say before Matthew can reply. 

"Are you okay? Do we need to go to the doctor? Is the baby.."I cut Matthew off. 

"Matthew, dear, I'm fine, just tired and I have a little morning sickness...in the afternoon...the doctor said this is normal." I assure him "I just want to go home and rest. You can go out if you want" I say. 

"Do you really think I would leave my pregnant wife at home alone sick, while I go out with our friends? what kind of husband do you think I am?" he jokes. 

"The best kind," I say, wrapping my arms around his waist, smiling up at him, he kisses my forehead. 

"Let's get changed and head home my dear," Matthew says. "We'll catch you guys another time," he tells Paget. 

When we get home, we cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. 

"Matthew, that envelope is taunting me," I say looking at the small white envelope sitting on the mantle next to the ultrasound pictures from the last appointment. 

"We can open it if you want! You already know I want to," Matthew says teasing me. I've been so indecisive on whether or not I want to know the baby's gender. 

"Let's open it!" I say, standing up suddenly, making myself dizzy. Matthew is up in a split second, arms around me, steadying me. He has me sit back down on the couch, he goes over grabs the envelope and sits back down next to me. 

"Are you sure this time?" he asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I'm sure!" I say. I wrap my arms around his waist, draping my legs over his. He opens the envelope and pulls out the ultrasound image that identifies the baby's gender. 

He wraps one arm around me, kissing the top of my head, I can feel tears falling from his cheeks. I look up at him smiling.

"We're having a girl," I whisper as tears well up behind my eyes. 

"A baby girl...I hope she turns out just like her mother," Matthew says smiling at me. 

Matthew tilts his head down and presses his lips to mine.