Chapter 31: Tick-Tock

"Agents, you need to look into anyone employed on the Criminal Minds set, and drives a black Ford Expedition. Matthew remembered that Kaylie has been seeing one everywhere she went. She thought it was just some low life paparazzi." AJ says to the agents. 

"Thank you Ma'am" we'll check into it," an agent says. 

The next day the agents inform us that no one cast or crew for the show owns a black Ford Expedition, but they've widened the search to include the other shows filmed on the lot.

Kaylie's Point of View

I don't know how long I've been trapped here. Days? Weeks? I've lost count, it seems like forever. I lay on the cold cement floor, shivering.  The man who took me gives me one bottle of water a day and so far has only given me one pack of peanut butter crackers. 

The door swings open and the man who took me walks in, only this time he's not wearing the mask. He looks so familiar, where have I seen him before?

"Wake up!" he shouts, "Do you still think your dear Dr. Reid loves you? If he did he should have found you by now. You're running out of time Evelyn! Once you're out of the way, I can show Spencer what real love is!" 

"Please, I'm not Evelyn. My name is Kaylie Gubler. Dr. Reid, he's only a character on TV, he's really my husband Matthew! Please let me go. Let me go back to my husband."

"Liar!" he shouts, slapping me across the face with such force I lose my balance and fall to the floor. He raises his hand above his head.

"Please, don't...I...I'm pregnant!" I whisper.

"What did you say?" He yells.

"I'm pregnant!" I say, not looking up. 

"You little bitch!" His fist makes contact with my jaw, I get knocked over onto my side, he kicks me, once, twice. He storms out of the room and locks the door. I lay there crying, holding my stomach, praying my baby is alright, praying someone finds me soon. The room spins and soon all I see is darkness. 

Matthew's Point of View

"Matthew, another letter was delivered to the house," Paget says as she peeks her head into my bedroom. I haven't left my room in 2 days, I can smell the scent of Kaylie's shampoo on her pillow, the cats wander around looking for her, sleeping on top of the clothes she left in the hamper. They miss her as much as I do. I stand up and walk downstairs with Paget. 

"Sir," an agent says handing me the envelope.

Hello Dr. Reid,

I really thought you would have found your agent by now. Maybe you gave up, realized it's not her that you truly love. We could start over, have a family of our own. You wouldn't leave your child though, I know you too well. This could all end soon Spencer. Tick-tock.

-XO

"He knows Kaylie is pregnant." is all I manage to say.

"We found something. Does anyone here know a Jeremey Kline?" an agent comes in and asks. 

"Jeremey Kline...he's a barista at my favorite coffee shop. I took Kaylie there a few days after we met. We run lines there all the time. That's how he knew about the episode!" I shout. "Did you find him, does he have Kaylie?"

"We haven't found him, but his aunt, who he lives with and cares for has a black Ford Expedition registered in her name. She reported it and her nephew missing this morning." the agent says.  "Agents are following up with her as we speak."

Hours pass and we hear nothing from the agents. There's nothing, Kline nor his aunt have any property, no other vehicles, nowhere the agents can find a connection to. He's disappeared with my wife and baby. We will never find her. A few more days pass, nothing, it's been 11 days, chances of finding Kaylie alive are next to none. 

"Matthew, we're going to head out, it's getting late. Shemar will be staying here. Call us if you need anything" AJ says giving me a small hug. I say goodbye to the others and head up to my bed and fall asleep almost instantly. I'm woken soon after by commotion downstairs. I rush out of bed, throw on some clothes and head downstairs. 

"What's going on?" I ask, no response from the agents. "Did you find her? I shout.

"We found something. Kline's aunt remembered that he used to spend summers with his friend Peter Jacobson, upstate at a cabin. We have agents headed there now." an agent says.

"I'm going with," I shout.

"Sir, we cannot allow that, this is an active investigation." an agent says.

"I don't give a damn, either take me with, or I'll follow your other agents there myself!" I scream "That's my wife you're looking for if he has her I need to be there for her!"

"Okay, put this on and let's go." an agent says handing me a vest. I put it on and race out the door, telling Shemar to update the others. 

It's a two-hour drive, even with the police cars speeding through the streets, sirens blaring. When we make it to the cabin, the other agents are already creating a perimeter, Kline's expedition parked next to the cabin. There are no lights on inside, it's too quiet..

"We found a body, white male, mid 30's, no pulse, one shot to the head, looks like he's been dead for some time, ID shows it's Peter Jacobson." I hear over an agents radio. I hear wood smashing, an agent broke down the door to the cabin, agents flood inside. I hear an echo of "clear" coming from the house. 

"Kline isn't here, the woman, there's evidence she was kept here. They're gone." I hear over the radio. 

We're too late. We're never going to find her. I think to myself. 

"We found a structure about 200 yards west of the cabin, there's a clearing in the woods. It looks like..a clock tower?" The radio goes off again. Without thinking I run and keep running until I can see the clock tower in the clearing. All of a sudden I'm being held back by two agents.

A man is being escorted out of the clock tower in handcuffs. He looks up and sees me. 

"Spencer! Oh Spencer, don't you see I did this all for you, so we could be together. I love you. That little bitch doesn't deserve you." He shouts, the agents seat him in a cop car. 

Paramedics rushed into the building, a few minutes later they emerge pushing a gurney, they head towards the ambulance. I see her face, Kaylie. The agents let me go and I run to her side. She's unconscious. Bruises and cuts line her face and arms. She's so pale, hardly breathing, she looks like a ghost. 

"Is the baby okay?" I ask the paramedic, she doesn't respond, just loads the gurney into the ambulance and shuts the doors. 

One of the agents rushes me to the hospital to meet Kaylie there.