Chapter 33: I Still Do

Matthew's Point of View

I pull into the driveway and shut off the car, turning to look at Kalie, she's staring blankly out the window.

"Kaylie, we're home," I say softly, placing my hand on her shoulder. She jumps a little in her seat, looks at me and nods her head, unbuckling her seat belt. I hurry out of the car and around to open her door, holding out my hand for her to take. We walk inside and she immediately heads for the stairs.

"I'm going to take a shower," Kaylie says. 

"Okay, head on up, I'll grab the bag from the car, I'll bring you some fresh towels and clean clothes" I reply, she nods. 

I head into the bedroom, with warm towels I threw in the dryer for a few minutes and a set of clean clothes for Kaylie, black leggings, fuzzy mismatched socks, and her favorite maroon sweater. I knock on the bathroom door and peek my head inside, not wanting to startle her. 

"Hey dear, I have your..." I stop talking as soon as I hear Kaylie crying. I quickly set the towels and clothes on the counter and open the shower door slightly. There she is, in the stream of water, head resting against the tile wall, I see her body tremble as she stands there crying. Not even taking a moment to think about what I was doing, I step into the shower and pull her into a tight embrace. She clings to the front of my shirt, now drenched from the shower.  After some time, standing, holding my wife, she releases my shirt, turns adjusts the water and washes her face. I grab the washcloth, apply some soap and begin gently rubbing her back, being careful of the cuts and bruises than line her pale skin.  As she stands under the water rinsing the suds from her body, I gently scrub her long dark brown hair. She stands motionless, her shoulders relax and she tilts her head back towards me. We stand in the water a few more minutes before she turns to me, only now fully realizing that I'm standing in the shower fully clothed, and gives me a small smile. 

"You can't possibly take a shower wearing all that," she says as she looks me up and down, "get undressed and take a real shower, I'll be drying my hair." 

After Kaylie steps out of the shower, I remove my clothes and wash up quickly, it does feel good to be clean. I step out of the shower, grabbing a towel wrapping it around my waist. I enter our bedroom to find Kaylie sitting on the chair brushing out her nearly dry locks. I dry off and get dressed in gray sweats and a dark blue t-shirt. I sit on the edge of the bed, watching as Kaylie finishes drying her hair, effortlessly twisting strands into a side braid. She looks up and sees me staring, she gives me a smile before standing and coming to sit next to me on the bed. She moves slowly and I can tell she is still in pain, but there's nothing I can do to help ease that pain. I pull her gently into my lap, and she curls up into me, head resting on my chest, knees pulled up over mine, arms wrapped around my waist. 

"I love you, and I am so sorry I wasn't there to protect you, to protect our baby. Please tell me what I can do to help. I feel so useless." I whisper.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm the one that couldn't protect out baby, it was my body attacking him like a virus in the first place. He was weak because of me. I was weak, it's my fault." she says, sobbing between words, "Just hold me, never let me go. I've lost so much in my life, I can't lose you too."

"That will NEVER happen. You will never lose me, I will always be here for you my love, always" I say, pulling her away from me just enough to look into her eyes and place a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Let's get some sleep?" I ask. She nods and we crawl into bed. Kaylie's head resting on my shoulder, arms wrapped around me. Out of habit, I place one hand on her stomach, she reaches down, intwines our fingers together and lifts my hand up to rest beneath her chin and falls asleep. 

She spends the next few days in bed, she refuses to see anyone but AJ and Shemar. She doesn't want our friends to see her this way is what she says. They visit her daily and one of them stays with her if I have to go out. I've taken some time off work, and understandably so does Kaylie. After the first 4 or 5 days Kaylie is ready to get out of the house, we spend our days off at the coffee shop, going for walks around the park, having movie marathons like we did when we first met. She has plans to come back to work in a week, but still taking a temporary leave from the hospital. I'll be returning to work next week as well. It's been good for us to slow down and just be with each other, but I can't help to think there's something else going on with Kaylie. I'm happy she seems happy, but after what she went through, it would be understandable if she wasn't...

I wake up one morning and find the bed next to me empty, a note on the pillow. 

Woke up early, went for coffee with AJ before my doctor's appointment, she's going with me so Go Back To Sleep! 
Love You, Kaylie

I lay in bed a little while longer before heading to the kitchen to make some coffee. It's already brewing, a note next to the coffee pot; I knew you wouldn't stay in bed, set the timer to brew you a fresh pot. See you soon, Kaylie. She is the sweetest.  I still can't help but feel like she's hiding how she's really feeling. I grab the newspaper and head to the living room, sipping my coffee. After about 2 hours, I hear a car pull into the driveway. Kaylie and AJ come into the house and find me in the living room. 

"How was your appointment?" I ask.

"It was fine, just a check-up," Kaylie says, averting her eyes. AJ places her hand on Kaylie's shoulder and gives it a slight squeeze. She looks to me, I know that look, something is wrong. AJ gives Kaylie a hug, says goodbye and heads off to set. Kaylie comes and sits next to me on the couch, resting her head on my chest, she fiddles with my fingers. 

"Kaylie, what's wrong dear?" I ask.

"I don't think I'm ready to go back to work next week. I know we had plans to go back together, and you still should, I just, I need more time," she says softly.

"That's fine, I'm sure everyone will understand," I say rubbing her back. "Why did you change your mind? I ask.

"I'm not okay, and I can't pretend that I am anymore. I tried to get over what happened, to put it behind me, but it's there, always at the forefront of my mind. The memories, the scars, the fading bruises, all a constant reminder. I'm messed up, I don't think anyone can ever fix me." She trails off and falls silent before speaking again. "I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to be with me anymore," she says, playing with the rings on her left hand.
I see a single tear fall from her cheek, I pull her close to me, but she resists. I get up from the couch and kneel in front of her, cupping her face in my hands, tears are streaming down her cheeks. She keeps looking down, I raise her head up and look her in the eyes.

"Kaylie, look at me, there is nothing in this world that would ever change my mind about wanting to be with you.  I love you more than you will ever know. You've been through hell and made it out the other side. You're the strongest, most determined, smartest, funniest, most beautiful, kind-hearted woman I've ever met. You changed me, and I couldn't imagine a world without you in it. Things have been rough, yes, but I will stand by your side through whatever comes our way, I will always be there for you, no matter how long it takes for you to feel okay again. You've faced unimaginable circumstances, but you're here, I wish I knew how to help you, I wish there was more I could do if anything I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to be with me. 

"I love you," she whispered as she leaned in pressing her lips to mine, it's the first time we've kissed since I left the house the morning Kaylie was abducted 3 weeks ago, "but will you still love me when I tell you......" 

  《《《《《《《《 ▪ ▪ ▪ 》》》》》》》》  

 I realized how long this chapter was getting, thought a nice little cliffhanger would be fun! Let me know what ya'll think! This is more of a fluff chapter than anything leading the storyline into my next plot!